BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:gearbox fright

More
09 Apr 2021 20:13 #234357 by Tedster
gearbox fright was created by Tedster
Hi Everybody.....browsing the forum I saw a couple of comments about the troublesome gearbox ( R72 ) ,
Having just purchased a low mileage 2009 Jimny , which I understand has this box ?  what am I looking forward to ? 
Is it a catastrophic failure / oil seals / bearings / synchro ? . Why are they considered dodgy and whats the remedy. Gearbox seems fine at the moment .
Info would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2021 20:47 #234359 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:gearbox fright
2009, they should have be cured. 2005-2008 are where they had the real issues. However it does no harm to keep the oil topped up and fresh

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tedster

More
09 Apr 2021 21:22 - 09 Apr 2021 21:25 #234361 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:gearbox fright
It's fair to say the early R72 had a weak bearing component compared to the early box, but as Martin said the fix was applied 2009 on, it was a sealed rather than an open bearing in troubled location. It's harder to actually confirm how big an issue this was / is.
 I also have a 2009 R72 box and it is clocking up plenty of trouble free miles with a heavy caravan attached, and when not it's our only daily transport.I change the oil every 25K because it's cheap to DIY, on all changes the oil I take out has looked like new with no debris, so it's all fine.
So I would not worry, but if your are concerned put £750 in a savings account just in case you need to replair it. Then in 10years when your confidence is high withdraw the £750.03 (includes interest at current rate) and spend it on a party

Oh and congratulations on your new Jimmy and welcome.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 21:25 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tedster

More
09 Apr 2021 21:42 #234362 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic Re:gearbox fright
Good thinking......Thanks mlines

More
09 Apr 2021 21:45 #234363 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic Re:gearbox fright
Thanks Scimike.....but I think the3p interest is optimistic

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds