BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tie rod ends/ tire swap -wobble back

More
06 Apr 2021 06:08 - 13 Apr 2021 16:36 #234273 by yakuza
last summer I shimmed my lower king pin bearings and checked lube and state of them shortly just before taking the car on a longer trip.
And most traces of any wobble I had at 75-80kmt (47~50mph) was gone. 

So yesterday I changed the steering linkage rod ends. both balls out and in with brand new.
Much tighter of course as the old ones had alot of play in them.

But to my surprice, wobble is back! 

Changed over from winter to summer wheels as well so just might have been unbalanced wheels, will rotate them when weather gets better.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 16:36 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2021 07:12 #234274 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tie rod ends -wobble back
OK thats also on my did not expect that list!
Like you I would expect it to be the tyres, but am interested if you find this is not the case.
Is it possible the play in the old tie rod ends was insulating the steering from the "wobble" ? Not sure, let us know what you find when you rotate the tyres.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
06 Apr 2021 11:16 #234275 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Tie rod ends -wobble back
When "wobble" appears, check:

Panhard Bushes
Steering Tie Rods Ends
Wheel Bearings
King Pin Bearings (i would not bother with shims)
Wheels Balanced
Wheel Alignment
Inner Wheels free of dirt/mud

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
06 Apr 2021 13:29 #234277 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Tie rod ends -wobble back
Wheel alignment would be the obvious choice, since that will have changed in replacing the steering ball joints. After that, the most likely is anything you removed, so wheels not siting square or possibly swapped over between axles?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
13 Apr 2021 16:27 - 13 Apr 2021 16:27 #234446 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Tie rod ends -wobble back
So now tried to swap the rear wheels to the front axle but still same wobble at around 80kmt that I did not have with the winter tires. Only thing swapped is the tie rod ends and now later the prop shaft to the rear axle.
My winter tires (also 235) got OZ alloys, all fine.
These are the original 2005 and later five spoke alloys (with BFG 235) that others too have reported having wheel alignment problems with. Some say the centers of the alloys are uneven and difficult to center in the wheel alignment machines.
Do anyone have a tip of how too align them properly?

there is also the possibility that when offroading with 0.4 bar "pressure" that the wheel spin in side the tire..? in wich case a simple alignment should fix it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 16:27 by yakuza.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 Apr 2021 17:32 #234450 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tie rod ends -wobble back
Wheel balancing is the problem here. I would try putting your winter wheels back on if they were ok and see first if that improves the issue.

Then look at the tyres on the summer wheels. They have been sat for a while and may have suffered. their balance weight might have changed too.

I find balance beads, ceramic for preference, are the best way with big tires and can allow for mud or stones stuck in the treads very well too. Maybe they are worth a try?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
13 Apr 2021 17:42 - 13 Apr 2021 17:44 #234451 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tie rod ends -wobble back
I think the story goes that the later 5 spoke alloys are stud centric, this means that it's only held central by the wheel nuts, not the hole in the middle of the wheel. As this hole is a cast finish it may not be central to the rotation of the wheel, so most cone balancers which use this may not balance the wheel accurately. For the most part it's close enough, but to be 100% accurate you need to find a balancer that can accommodate stub balancing.
Yes it's possible for the tyre to slip at low pressures, particular if it's wet and you have a nice torque supply behind it such as in 4L.
Fatter and heavier tyres just highlight any imbalance more.
I would start with a simple balance again on the front just to eliminate movement or wear on the tyres.
After that ???? Find a stud balancer, balance beads as Riccy suggests.
I have the same 5 spoke and have not had any issues with cone balancing, but maybe I am just lucky or the standard tyre size helps.
Good luck.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 17:44 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds