BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

E10 petrol and gen 3 Jimny

More
11 Mar 2021 21:05 #233662 by Mabster
Hello I have a 2001 gen 3 and wondering if E10 petrol is likely to damage any rubber / plastic components anywhere in the fuel system? I understand that owners of older cars / other makes such as VWs have fuel leaks where the ethanol is 'drying out' rubber components, causing cracking. Does anyone have a view or am I wrong to be concerned? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2021 21:15 #233663 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic E10 petrol and gen 3 Jimny
Suzuki tech say it will be fine

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mabster

More
11 Mar 2021 21:23 #233664 by Mabster
Replied by Mabster on topic E10 petrol and gen 3 Jimny
Thanks Martin!

More
26 Mar 2021 10:24 #234039 by Axholme Lion
Can you not buy additives to counter act the effects of the ethanol?

I won't be putting any E10 anywhere near my cars. I always use Shell V Power which i believe will remain E5.

More
26 Mar 2021 12:27 #234040 by Roger Fairclough
If Suzuki Tech. says it will be OK, what's the problem?

Roger

More
02 Apr 2021 11:05 #234193 by facade
Replied by facade on topic E10 petrol and gen 3 Jimny

Axholme Lion wrote: Can you not buy additives to counter act the effects of the ethanol?

I won't be putting any E10 anywhere near my cars. I always use Shell V Power which i believe will remain E5.

The Esso equivalent is ethanol free, I use it in my 'bike, and I have been putting it in the Jinmny recently, as it has only done about 200 miles since last March.  I've seen what 10% ethanol does to plastic fuel filter casings in the USA- they go bright yellow and swell up.

You don't want ethanol mix hanging around in your fuel tank, it rusts steel, and holds water. 

The ethanol free costs a bit more, but you will get higher MPG which will compensate a bit. (ethanol has a lower calorific value than petrol, so it is another stealth tax- you have to buy more fuel, and therefore pay more duty and VAT)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds