BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.

More
22 Apr 2021 07:44 #234643 by Roger Fairclough
A schematic of the front hub indicates that the seal does have the room to move outward on the shaft. Question is why.
Seals have 3 numbers on them, the overall dia. the inside dia. ie shaft dia. and the width.
When you fitted the seal, did you push it all the way into the housing? As you did this, did it feel easy or tight. Easy is "oh I could have done that with just finger pressure", tight is "ok that feels good and solid".
Inspect the housing, does it look smooth and undamaged? Some housings have an outer roughly machined section that acts as a starter to the inner fully machined inner. The seal must sit in this inner section, hard up against the end section.
Can you send us some pics?

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2021 08:03 #234644 by Lambert

Thank you for the advice. As this is a vacuum hub version surely the diff and shafts are active when driving? 4WD is engaged when the hubs are locked into the shafts.
I can't imagine anything sticking the seal in though.
Tempted to bite the bullet and take it to the Suzuki dealer to get them to fit a seal.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

The front drive members are double isolated. So the drive is disconnected at both the transfer box and the hubs when in 4x2. The diff, shafts and prop are all stationary.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2021 10:41 #234647 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
OK. I didn't realise the vacuum hub switch disengaged the transfer box. If the shaft isn't turning then I can't see what would push out the seal.
Possible stupid question...Is it possible the hubs disengage but the transfer box is still engaged? If it were possible, would the 4H light stay on?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds