BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spare wheel bike rack?

• bpnwainwright
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2021 10:37 #231978 by bpnwainwright
Spare wheel bike rack? was created by bpnwainwright
Hi all,

I've fitted a Peruzzo Brennero 2 bike spare wheel rack to my 2020 Jimny without really considering how much weight the spare wheel mount/door hinges will take. I know it won't be as strong as a proper towbar rack but I wanted a quick fix that I can take on and off easily. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've tried it out with one bike, total weight approx. 20kg (see attached photo of Jimny dwarfed by bike) without problems but I didn't travel far. Ideally I'd want to be able to put two bikes on (30kg or so) and not worry I'm going to tear the rear wheel off when I hit a bump...

Thanks for your help!

Ben
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2021 12:39 #231985 by Roger Fairclough
Some years ago on the A74 in Scotland I saw the remnants of two bikes and the rear door mounted rack that had broken away from a Volvo estate car. That convinced me that this type of mounting is fundamentally flawed . You are better off with a tow ball mounted unit.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: bpnwainwright

More
20 Jan 2021 13:14 #231986 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Spare wheel bike rack?

bpnwainwright wrote: Hi all,

I've fitted a Peruzzo Brennero 2 bike spare wheel rack to my 2020 Jimny without really considering how much weight the spare wheel mount/door hinges will take. I know it won't be as strong as a proper towbar rack but I wanted a quick fix that I can take on and off easily. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've tried it out with one bike, total weight approx. 20kg (see attached photo of Jimny dwarfed by bike) without problems but I didn't travel far. Ideally I'd want to be able to put two bikes on (30kg or so) and not worry I'm going to tear the rear wheel off when I hit a bump...

Thanks for your help!

Ben

I have a tyre mounted rack on my Gen 4 and haven't experienced any issues, but don't use it much, also my bike is very light.  I know that the Gen 3's had an issue with the door buckling when using a tyre mounted carrier, but the Gen 4's rear door seems to be better constructed.

More
20 Jan 2021 13:15 #231987 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Spare wheel bike rack?

Roger Fairclough wrote: Some years ago on the A74 in Scotland I saw the remnants of two bikes and the rear door mounted rack that had broken away from a Volvo estate car. That convinced me that this type of mounting is fundamentally flawed . You are better off with a tow ball mounted unit.

Roger

Tow-ball mounted is definitely a better option.

More
20 Jan 2021 18:22 #231997 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Spare wheel bike rack?
I regularly strap my 13kg touring bike directly to the spare wheel. It is very secure but you feel the weight when you open and close the door. i wouldn't lexpect it to take the weight of 2 bikes though, and using anything that extended the weight futher back will massively increase the load on the door.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jan 2021 18:31 #232001 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spare wheel bike rack?
I'd be more worried about the side projections outside the Jimny and ripping the whole assembly off on a hedge or lamppost or wagon etc.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jan 2021 19:25 #232003 by RumbleAndSway
I agree with Lambert - long wheelbase mountain bikes protrude whatever you use.

Can recommend the Buzz Rack Scorpion for those with a tow hitch www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab....PdG1gLxoCCGIQAvD_BwE

More
20 Jan 2021 20:38 - 20 Jan 2021 20:40 #232010 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spare wheel bike rack?
Just playing devils advocate here, but vehicle and towbar manufacturer specifications usually have a maximum of permissable nose weight. Depending upon who and what, it's in the range of 45 to 75kg, nominally 50kg.
SO does anyone pay any attention to this? 
I believe it is vehicle stability related rather than towbar failure.
A three bike towbar mounted carrier and 3 bikes is likely to be over or close to the limit. Often looked at the motorbike versions, but pushing stability and the limit too much in my opinion.
Just saying they are not limitless, but at least you have an official figure which is more than you will find for the rear door on the Jimny

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2021 20:40 by Scimike.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2021 21:15 - 21 Jan 2021 08:32 #232012 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Spare wheel bike rack?
Some time back there was posted some photos of a bike rack that went into the towbar's 50x50mm receiver.  
This rack carried the bicycles vertically, with the rear wheel located in the rack frame and the front wheel pointing up.
I will try to search later in the day for the post. 
Edit: My serch for "bike" did not locate the desired post.  It may have been in a Aus-Jimny-Facebook Page.  However, the question has been asked and covered may times in the past and repeating the search for "bike" will produce satisfactory results! 
Last edit: 21 Jan 2021 08:32 by GeorgeC.

• bpnwainwright
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2021 09:22 #232053 by bpnwainwright
Replied by bpnwainwright on topic Spare wheel bike rack?
Thanks everyone, really useful comments. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point and get a towbar...

More
22 Jan 2021 09:55 #232055 by Roger Fairclough
Bens picture of his set up does look a little worrying at first but in reality his wheels are only a little further out than his mirrors. Also as the driver is aware that the wheels do protrude, they should take extra care when driving or manoeuvring.
A possible alternative would be to remove the front wheel and position the rack, if possible ,to move the bike into a better position.

Roger

More
22 Jan 2021 10:04 #232056 by Roger Fairclough
Just another thought but valid. Check with your insurance broker. When I took our bikes to France the broker initially said the bikes had to be chained to the rack, fair enough, and the car, the LandCruiser had to be chained to a lamp post or similar. When I pointed out that the L C weighed 2 tons they saw the silliness and scrapped that idea.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds