BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Lubricating Locks and Hinges

More
17 Jan 2021 10:31 #231869 by Doctorchris
No matter how good at servicing the dealers' workshops are these days, one thing I notice is omitted is lubricating the locks and hinges. OK, in the past this was carried out rather halfheartedly. I remember the splash of white, spray grease that used to cover the outside of the hinges but didn't seem to enter the mechanism.
Yesterday I carried out this procedure on my Jimny JB74. I puff powdered graphite into the locks. I squirt engine oil from my old oil can into door and bonnet hinges. I use grease on the bonnet catch.
What I did notice is the useful little lubricating holes on the tailgate hinges. These hinges carry a lot of weight and it's worth taking care of them. I squirted engine oil into them and it certainly penetrated the mechanism. However, it occurred to me that grease would be better and wondered what other owners use. I have a light spray grease which is used for motorcycle chains. I thought a cable greaser might also work and would allow a slightly heavier grease to be used.
Nitpicking, I know but aren't we all rather like that when it comes to our rare, future classics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jan 2021 10:43 #231872 by Lambert
I inject chainsaw bar oil into the door hinges with an old 5 ml syringe. Not as messy as it sounds and lasts a good couple of months.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Jan 2021 10:52 #231873 by Roger Fairclough
Not specific to a Jimny but a hinge is a hinge is a hinge.

On my LC I drilled a hole in a suitable central position tapped it 6mm and screwed in short grease nipples. Another job at service time but it was only 5 mins to grease the 4.

Roger

More
17 Jan 2021 11:07 #231874 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Lubricating Locks and Hinges
been minus 12 degrees Celsius now some days here and i found lithium based lubricant did ok. I have been using the white grease spray for years and did ok too but it collects dirt wich in turn collects water wich freeze up.

For the locks be sure to use lock oil, not spray or the products meant to dissolve ice or grime without shortly adding oil after.

Be sure to check that your product do not contain (too much) white spirit or alcohol that can dry up too much. WD40 is ok to loosen and dissolve stuff, and lube as well short time. but be sure to add some grease of sorts after a short while.
PTFE is also ok most times.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds