BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2019 Jimny Intermittent Rear Wiper Mod Gen4 (JB74)

More
25 Jan 2021 07:29 #232169 by RainerK
This would be GREAT!! and Thank you.

I have the Swift wiper switch but for those that have the original one (and also for me) the mod for just intermittent wipe would be sufficient, especially if it is not too complicated and would not require additional cables from the front to the back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2021 21:18 - 22 Feb 2021 21:40 #233115 by Soeley
Update time, 

I have (thanks to Martin for pointing it out to me) reconfiguerd the way the realy circuit connects to the Jimny.
Now this is only if you have the later Swift style switch fitted with the INT position on the Rear Wiper.

The original Grey wire I had removed from the block is now put back into position, the output wire from Realy 3, #30 is now spliced into this.

The switch has an unused pin, #1 (zoom in, you can just see the numbers)

Corresponding hole in the connector block

Flylead with small terminal fitted into the hole. I opened it up with a 3mm drill the went down it with a small square needle file.

Connected up to the Relay circuit, Relay 1, #85

And the final diagram tweaked to show the update

Finaly a video of it in operation
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 21:40 by Soeley.

More
13 Sep 2021 17:27 #238565 by Dan
I noticed something that I haven't picked up on in any previous cars.

With the wipers on constantly, when I accelerate they slow down.

When I lift off the throttle, they speed up. I've never noticed this before.

More
13 Sep 2021 17:40 #238567 by fordem
Get yourself one of those volt meters that plug into the cigarette lighter outlet and monitor the voltage there, I suspect you'll find the voltage drops a volt or two when you accelerate and comes back up when you lift off the throttle.

More & more modern vehicles are being supplied with "smart" alternators that allow some degree of control by the ECU and reduce output voltage when the "mechanical load" on the engine increases - it's done to reduce fuel consumption.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

More
14 Sep 2021 12:20 #238597 by Dan
How about accessing Soeley's secret menu and watching the voltage from the infotainment screen?

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-black-sz5?start=144

More
14 Sep 2021 18:57 #238611 by Dan
I've answered my own question.
The hidden screen was ranging from 12.2 to 14.8v during normal driving on my commute.

That was with the stereo on mute and only the drls on, with the fan on as low as it goes, so not a massive load.

I suspect I could have got the numbers to change a little if I wellied it.

More
15 Sep 2021 07:24 #238621 by Scimike
Just trying to educate myself on all the modern stuff, I assume the G4 is a smart alternator?
Only asking as the voltage range above is going to what I would consider to be limits. In the old days 12.2 was considered a flat battery and 14.8 was heading to overcharged. 
Yes you will see things speed up / slow down with this level of voltage fluctuation. Is this normal for smart systems?
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Aug 2022 13:53 #244789 by Auszooker
Here is my method of adding an intermittent function with a swift stalk, note I am in Australia and our stalk is on the left of the column, it seems the pin numbers are backwards, but not colours.
Basics of it are a timer module that you can vary the on time and off time, off time is the delay between wipes and on time only needs to be very short, about .2 of a second to get the wiper moving and then the self park feature will take over.
You can power your timer from the thick grey wire, this has power when ignition is on, for the earth we will feed it via the rear int switch in the Swift stalk, this switches to earth when turned on, for that a pin needs to be added into the plug in position 10 (nothing there in a Jimny) So that makes our timer turn on when needed, all other times it does nothing.
To make things happen, we need to pulse the rear wiper motor control wire (thin grey) to earth to get it to do a sweep, to do this we will cut the wire and loop it through the changeover relay on the timer, with the common terminal hooked up to the motor side of the wire we cut and the stalk side to the normally closed side, then we will connect the normally open terminal to the black earth wire. So when the timer is doing nothing, the thin grey wire passes through the relay so none of the wash and wipe or on functions are interrupted and then when the timer is engaged, it pulses the relay to earth.
If this makes sense to you then finding a timer you like should be easy, the extra terminal you need to add is a bit of a hard one, It's a Sumitomo HE060 uninsulated terminal which seems to be available genuine only which means buy 50000 or get reamed, but look around and you might find something.

I make and sell these ready to go along with the HE060 terminal crimped on a wire, in Australia. I could look at adapting them to fit a UK car but I don't see if being economical, verse creating your own. 
Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2023 08:23 #251109 by Pajoe

More
01 Oct 2023 10:12 #251115 by rogerzilla
This is also a popular mod on the 3rd generation Mazda MX-5, using an RX-8 stalk to get variable intermittent wipe.  I haven't bothered in my MX-5 because I don't intentionally use it in the rain.  You think Jimnys rust...!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds