BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My GOD, it's full of Crimps!...

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2020 23:30 #230046 by TillymintDLG
My GOD, it's full of Crimps!... was created by TillymintDLG
Hello fellow inmates!
Happy to say my '05 flew through it's MOT with just an advisory on the SA80 quick release clamps....
Anyhows, I honestly have not seen these before [a bit behind the times?] but they would have saved me a bucket load of
hassle over the decades!

preview.tinyurl.com/y4rob5yg
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2020 10:14 - 15 Nov 2020 10:15 #230051 by Scimike
Been around for quite a while in one form or another, the favourite of the quick connection goes by the name scotchlok.
They can be devil's own in automotive use as over time they don't perform that we'll, leading to broken or poor electrical connection.
The main issues are that it's not watertight and can corrode, It also gets mismatched to the cable size by the user. If placed and used correctly they do work, but more often they are inappropriately used leading to issues later in life.

Me, I won't touch them. I splice solder and heat shrink all my automotive T connections.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Nov 2020 10:15 by Scimike.

More
15 Nov 2020 10:17 #230052 by RainerK
I personally do not like these, because they tend to make trouble that is then hard to find. They damage original wire and the connection is not very good and in case of corrosion any fault is hard to find.

More
15 Nov 2020 16:16 #230059 by Roger Fairclough
When I was fitting alarm systems, I avoided these like the plague. Poor connection at best that quickly corroded and caused high resistance in the circuits leading to intermittent and then total failure.

Roger

More
16 Nov 2020 10:23 - 16 Nov 2020 10:23 #230086 by Fossie
SA80 quick release clamps! :blink: You've rifle racks fitted?:whistle:
Yep scotlocks a useful temporary fix ...but after a while the ingress of water can cause you to meet interesting people, usually belonging to the recovery services ... Oh and a French ferry shunter driver who will drag your sorry alternator less people carrier on to the ferry at speeds not assocaiated with towing on a webbing strap!:blink:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2020 10:23 by Fossie.

More
16 Nov 2020 14:42 #230100 by lookonimages
Still believe in the old way to wire tap. That way i know a fault is not at a connection that I made or where i spliced into a wire as they will be properly soldered in. These crimps leave you stranded when you least expect it.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
16 Nov 2020 15:56 #230106 by DrRobin
As mentioned above these are okay, especially if you can get them to close up and click in place first time, but they are not as good as a joint.

Soldering outside is a bit hit and miss you need a really hot iron and total lack of wind and I am not in favour of heat shrink tubing, it is very difficult to apply correctly outside, much better to use self amalgamating tape.

If you don't fancy soldering, or it is in a tight spot then try a Butt Splice crimp.

Just cut the original wire, strip both ends, twist the new wire to one end of the original and then insert in the crimp. Tape over it with self amalgamting tape. Once crimped it will be nearly as good as a solder joint, after all your car is full of crimp connections and BT gave up on soldered joints in favour of crimps when Busby was on the go.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2020 20:05 #230121 by Grim Reaper
Buy a bag or two of these..
www.aliexpress.com/item/32901957638.html....240b3c00PheXbt&mp=1
Best thing since whatever.
With a cheap pair of crimpers, solder and heatshrink, you can't beat it.

More
16 Nov 2020 21:21 #230124 by RainerK
Or you could use soldering connectors with heat shrink sleeve.

I perfere to connect at the end or beginning of a cable instead of in the middle.

More
16 Nov 2020 23:10 #230126 by Reason2doubt
Jelly crims are my go-to if I am in a pinch and need a quick water tight connection:

www.dcdi.co.uk/shop/8a-jelly-crimps-pack...TDlj4P8aAs50EALw_wcB

Otherwise, I always solder and heat shrink when time and space allow.

More
17 Nov 2020 09:55 #230132 by Roger Fairclough
I am impressed with the crimping pliers in the Aliexpress kits. They appear to be machined cast/forged plated steel. Obviously Chinese but the quality, from my own experience, is very high.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds