BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine Squeal

• Kizzy--wizzy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2020 16:16 #229460 by Kizzy--wizzy
Engine Squeal was created by Kizzy--wizzy
Thank you for add, I hope someone can help, you might need a cup of tea though, it's a bit of a long one...

I bought a 58 plate Jimmy in July 2019, in February/March 2020 I started to get an intermittent squealing when starting it in the mornings, it got progressively worse so we changed the two auxiliary belts, this solved the problem for a couple of weeks but then it started again. We took the belts off & cleaned the pulley grooves & changed the tensioner, it persisted. We then went into lockdown & it got a run once a week to tick it over, it made no squealing.

I started driving it regularly again in August to & from work, the squealing like a banshee now happens every time you start the engine & continues until it is warm.
We changed PAS/AC belt again because it looked as though it was linked to steering as squealing was worse on full lock left & right, also changed the battery. This made a slight difference in the house but still persisted.

Today we have changed the PAS pump & fitted a belt that bypasses AC pump as we sprayed the AC pulley & clutch with dry lubricant & the noise almost stopped which led us to think the AC pump pulley was the issue.
It looked as though that had solved the problem but leaving engine off for half hour to change headlights it returned when starting the engine albeit not quite so aggressively.

Our next thing we plan to change is the alternator but does anyone have any suggestion of anywhere else we should be looking. The belts are tensioned correctly & it is not particularly easy to diagnose where the sound is coming from as it moves around the engine bay.
Whereas before it looked like the problem was linked to steering because it got worse when moving the steering, it is now happening when I turn the lights on or put in drive/reverse.

Thank you for reading this far & I appreciate any helpful advice before I pull my hair out & my husband leaves me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Oct 2020 16:34 #229462 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Engine Squeal
Welcome to the forum. It's sounds like the main crankshaft drive pulley is failing. They're a bonded composite type and the bonding doesn't last forever. If the engine is running then it's sometimes possible to see the drive pulley wobble or running out of true. With the engine off and the belts removed there shouldn't be any detected play in the main pulley. Replacing should be straightforward assuming you can get the crankshaft bolt out, however it has a large integral flange and this corrodes making an already ft bolt a bit of a git to undue. It is best to remove the radiator to improve access and to have a heavy hitting impact wrench too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kizzy--wizzy

• Kizzy--wizzy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2020 16:46 #229464 by Kizzy--wizzy
Replied by Kizzy--wizzy on topic Engine Squeal
Thank you, much appreciated.
My husband had wondered about that earlier but I think he had hoped it wasn't, another gent on FB also suggested this so looks like that is the next place to start, do you think change the alternator too?

More
24 Oct 2020 16:59 #229466 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Engine Squeal
One of my daughters Jimny did this, having changed the belts more than once, they snapped often aswell, the alternator was renewed and the squealing stopped. On inspection the alternator was fine until we looked in side at the windings and found a bearing was siezing .

The other daughters squealing ( jimny not her) was curtailed when I cleaned around the rear of the engine which was covered in oil ( which I still need to figure out) . I found the plate covering the flywheel was missing and hence the flywheel covered in oil so cleaned off aswell.

• Kizzy--wizzy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2020 17:06 #229467 by Kizzy--wizzy
Thank you, we will check that too, I do have a new alternator so maybe should change it. Thanks

More
24 Oct 2020 22:09 #229474 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Engine Squeal
Squealing on start up is nearly always a belt, usually too slack. My crank pulley failed in the summer, fairly spectacular, it chucked both belts off, there is a thread on here about it.

Anyway, prior to it failing one of the belts squealed at start up, it was the Power Assisted belt, now that the pulley is replaced and new belts no more squealing.

You can tell which belt it is, try moving the steering when cold, especially near lock, if it is the PAS belt it will get worse. If it s the the AC belt then it will change if you put the AC on.

The only other thing that makes that noise is the clutch thrust bearing, but you know if it is the clutch, it changes when you push the clutch in.

I was surprised how short a life the crankpulley has, I have never known it to fail on any other vehicle I have owned, but on a Jimny they seem to go quite quickly (every 50k miles).

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Oct 2020 22:37 #229475 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Engine Squeal
Just re-read your post, it is definitely the PAS belt, same as mine. If you have changed the belts then Lambert is most likely right, it is the crank pulley. Mine had very bad wear and was out of line so it was impossible to get the right tension.

As a Lambert says they are on quite tight, but take the radiator off and the pulley has two M8 threaded holes, bolt a bar to it, jam the bar in place and then it will come out. The pulley is quite easy to replace, especially with the radiator off.

Search ‘Jimny both belts just fell off’ to see my post.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
27 Oct 2020 11:23 #229494 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Engine Squeal
I've done this as well it's quite common. Be aware the bolt is very tight so you will need a long bar or use the starter method which I had to do but try the normal way first.
This video may help

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• Kizzy--wizzy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2020 09:08 #229808 by Kizzy--wizzy
Hiya, me again. Thank you for all your suggestions, So changed the crank shaft pulley yesterday, started it and no squeal, went out half an hour ago and it squealed as soon as I started the engine, not for as long and then didn't do it anytime when idle at traffic lights which it did before, could it just be bedding in or should I be looking somewhere else?
Also changed the alternator and now my battery light is on constantly.... about to give up!
Any ideas?
Thanks again
Kind regards Christine

More
08 Nov 2020 09:43 #229809 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Engine Squeal
Was the original pulley damaged in the way suggested by other members on this forum? Did you fit a brand new Suzuki pulley? Was the person who fitted the new pulley competent to work on an engine?
Sorry to appear a bit brutal with these questions but diagnosing problems on a forum is difficult when you can't see the motor "in the flesh" so to speak. If the original pulley was damaged, if you fitted a new pulley, if the person who fitted it knew what they were doing, then we are down to damaged belts and incorrect tension, both of which should have been noticed when the pulley was changed. As regards the alternator, again, was this a new item? and why did you change it?

Roger

More
08 Nov 2020 10:00 #229811 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Engine Squeal
The most common cause of squeal is the crank pulley you have changed.

However the alternator bearings are also a source of squealing. Mine squealed and this would vary with electrical load, lights etc. They are not easy to diagnose although a good spray of wd40 inside the alternator vents would give some respite which eventually persuaded me to change the alternator.

The bearings inside are standard commercial items but getting the alternator red assembled afterwards was to hard ! So I just swapped the whole thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Kizzy--wizzy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2020 10:20 #229812 by Kizzy--wizzy
Replied by Kizzy--wizzy on topic Re:Engine Squeal
Also fitted a new alternator so unless it is a dud but the engine started fine this morning, the battery seems to be holding it's charge, we are wondering whether to put the old alternator back on...?

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds