BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Cylinder head swap, new cylinder has different valves?

• JimnyCal
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2020 16:39 #228344 by JimnyCal
Hi guys,

I'm swapping out the cylinder head on my 03 Jimny as I needed a new head gasket so I'm swapping out the cylinder head too (had a spare engine so I've got the spare head cleaned up and polished/ported skimmed etc.) and I've somehow had few bits on my new cylinder head go walkies, couple of collets, 2 valve spring seats and a valve spring retainer, so I thought no biggie, I have 16 spares in my current engine!

Not the case apparently, I've taken the current cylinder head off the car and some of the gear doesn't line up right. Valve spring seats appear to be about 0.5mm too big! Silly stuff like that. Looked at the bottom of the valves and lo and behold they're different?

Old one (from the 03) has markings on the intake valve for '54G' and my new one has markings for '69G' what does this mean? Am I looking for parts for a different model year on the '69G' valves vs the '54G' valves? The appear to have a smaller stem than the 69 ones and the 54 ones are dished in a bit too.

They're both non-VVTi cylinder heads so I'm just looking for some info on what the differences are?

I've attached pics for reference.

Thanks in advance

Cal
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Sep 2020 05:25 #228359 by Lambert
I don't know enough about the actual part numbers for the components in the head but they are both twin cam m13a heads? It could be worth asking if Martin could cross reference against his parts catalog.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Sep 2020 06:10 - 20 Sep 2020 06:12 #228360 by mlines
The heads changed from Engine No 1047047 onwards. The heads are interchangeable as a whole unit, parts are not

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Sep 2020 06:12 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• JimnyCal
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2020 09:53 #228364 by JimnyCal
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply! When you say the parts from the old head are not interchangeable (which I have discovered through some quick test fitting) would it be possible to get some part numbers for the cylinder head with the valves marked '69G'? Those part numbers bejng:

- Valve cotter(s)
- Valve spring locators
- Valve spring retainers
- Valve stem seals

Or are all of the part numbers listed in the screenshot the part numbers for the valves marked '69G'? Only asking as I see 2 P/N for valve stem seals?

Many thanks in advance! By that post alone you've saved me a lot of time (and a lot of money!) I would have spent buying bits myself and testing them haha.

Callum

• JimnyCal
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2020 10:02 #228365 by JimnyCal
Not to worry bud, thankfully Martin has replied to this and I've asked the question, so hopefully I can strike a bit of lick and get on the right track with it.

But yes, both are twin cam M13 engines, both non-VVTi. Only reason this has now become an issue is because I've been doing work on the cylinder head from a spare engine (that I bought for 50 quid, bargain!) and I wanted to swap them over when doing a head gasket.

Thanks for the reply/advice anyway though mate. :)

More
20 Sep 2020 14:50 #228370 by mlines
Doesnt that screenshot have all the information you need?

Where the part is common, it appears once. where it is different depending on Engine number it appears twice

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds