BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny prop shaft refurbishment

More
12 Sep 2020 17:12 - 12 Sep 2020 17:13 #228111 by Reason2doubt
Hi all,

I'm thinking about refurbing these props. To me, they seem OK... but not being an expert I was wondering if anyone can see anything blatantly obvious that could be wrong with them? Or, perhaps, things I should check?

All the various joints seem to move freely and the rubber boots seem to not have any holes or cracks. They also slide in and out OK, no rust on the inside.

Otherwise my plan was to clean them up, lick of paint and then find some new bolts to connect them up (if anyone knows the size of them, that would also be appreciated!).
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Sep 2020 17:13 by Reason2doubt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2020 05:01 #228125 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Jimny prop shaft refurbishment
Seeing as you have done the hard bit getting the props off, I would be inclined to fit new spiders anyway..... It's another worry off the 'Worry bucket list' isn't it R2D?

More
13 Sep 2020 06:57 - 13 Sep 2020 07:10 #228127 by Reason2doubt

TillymintDLG wrote: Seeing as you have done the hard bit getting the props off, I would be inclined to fit new spiders anyway..... It's another worry off the 'Worry bucket list' isn't it R2D?

These are a spare set I was gifted a while ago. No real worries about the ones which are still on the car, but it’s something to keep occupied with (and learn about). Thanks.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2020 07:10 by Reason2doubt.

More
13 Sep 2020 07:37 #228130 by Roger Fairclough
As a matter of interest, can you retro fit U/Js with grease nipples to jimnys?

Roger

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 Sep 2020 08:07 #228131 by Riccy

Roger Fairclough wrote: As a matter of interest, can you retro fit U/Js with grease nipples to jimnys?

Roger

www.bigjimny.com/store/universal-joint-greasable.html

;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
13 Sep 2020 10:03 #228136 by Roger Fairclough
Cheers Riccy.

As a matter of interest, I would suggest that once the u/j's have been greased, the nipple is removed and replaced with a suitable tapered hex. plug. These will screw in and finish flush and so will not be damaged. Yes it's a bit fussy but anything to protect the nipple from physical damage or water or dirt getting into it must be good.
Roger

More
16 Sep 2020 00:27 #228247 by Mr CC
I think the bolts are M8, or M10 on one side, just refitted the prop on mine so will find out tomorrow when I'm back at the car

More
16 Sep 2020 06:02 #228248 by Busta
I'd just clean and paint. I've never had a Suzuki UJ fail, nor have I heard of many others failing. If it was a Landrover on the other hand I'd have said replace them all. They don't last half as long!

More
16 Sep 2020 19:17 #228267 by Mr CC
the bolts on the rear shaft are 4X M8 x 20mm thread length with a 12mm hex head and 4X M10 x 25mm thread length with a 14mm hex head
definitely renew the spring washers.
most M8 have 13mm heads and could be tight, I cleaned up the old ones and re-used
hope you notice the front shaft is weighted, so you will have to replace the shaft to the original bolt holes on both sides.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2020 05:42 #228281 by Lambert
Prop shafts are only balanced as a component not as part of the assembly they are bolted to. The only reason to be careful is if you split them, so removing the slider or replacing the universal joints. If you do then a couple of witness marks are all you need.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Sep 2020 07:32 #228285 by Reason2doubt
Thanks all! That’s very useful info :) I’ll see how I get on.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds