BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Removal of back plate which supports the brake and clutch pedals

More
07 Sep 2020 15:19 - 07 Sep 2020 15:21 #227876 by Bosanek
I have had a squeaky clutch pedal for quite a while, so got fed up with it and decided to investigate.

To my horror, I found out that the thick metal backplate which is bolted to the firewall behind the pedals has a big crack, near the part of the plate through whhich the clutch cable goes. The car is only 7 years old.
Whenever the clutch cable is pulled by the clutch pedal, the cracked part twists and probably squeaks. It will break off soon.

As welding in situ is near impossible due to fire hazards, I need to remove this plate for welding.

If I am correct, I need to disconnect the clutch pedal from the clutch cable and the brake pedal from whatever it is that connects it to the braking system components in the engine bay, and possibly the throttle pedal from the throttle cable.

Lucky me.

Has anyone done this and what kind of advice on all this removal is there? Is it better to have a competent mechanic do the removal and assembly due to risks of messing something up, like the braking system, brake or clutch pedal travel, etc.?

I don't have many local mechanics willing to operate on an "obscure Asian vehicle". Even so, they don't like a sitting vehicle in their garage while the plate is being taken for welding and painting.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2020 15:21 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AdDeTa
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2020 15:25 #227877 by AdDeTa
Good luck and hopefully someone can help, if you don’t have any luck I’ll take a look at mine for you when I’m next working on mine

More
07 Sep 2020 15:31 #227878 by Bosanek
AdDeTa and me found out two related chapters in the factory service manuals:
5-46 (Brake booster removal and reinstallation)
7C-6 (Clutch cable replacement)

The section on the brake booster says that it should not be disassembled and also mentions some vacuums. The booster appears to be the first component connected to the brake pedal.

Also, suggestions on how to properly dettach and reattach the clutch cable to the pedal?

More
07 Sep 2020 23:56 #227909 by Keithy
When I sold my roof rack to the chap on here who was in the UK from Cyprus his clutch pedal bracket collapsed and I towed him to mine and welded it in situ....made it back to Cyprus across europe ok.....offered to move the steering wheel to the correct side too!

4 nuts and 2 clips to remove.......disconnect the clutch cable at the gearbox first.

More
08 Sep 2020 14:08 #227923 by Bosanek
Thank you for the hints.

As I do not have a facility to get the vehicle on a lift at the moment, what do I "lose" if I don't disconnect the clutch cable at the gearbox?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
08 Sep 2020 17:32 #227931 by Riccy
you wont be able to get it off the pedal if you dont release it from the clutch. Its the little plastic triangle cover on the underside. You can crawl under or use ramps and its easy enough when you see it

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
08 Sep 2020 17:42 - 08 Sep 2020 17:43 #227932 by HUN

Bosanek wrote: Thank you for the hints.

As I do not have a facility to get the vehicle on a lift at the moment, what do I "lose" if I don't disconnect the clutch cable at the gearbox?

I don't know what you would lose but disconnecting the clutch cable at the gearbox is very easy. All you need is the scissor jack to lift the front right corner of the car then support it with an axle stand for your safety. Undo the plastic nut by hand then take out the bulky cable end from the clutch release folk. (You might need a screw driver as well to carefully remove the plastic cover from the bell housing)

Ha-ha Riccy was faster than me as usual

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 08 Sep 2020 17:43 by HUN.

More
09 Sep 2020 16:29 - 10 Sep 2020 05:38 #227997 by Bosanek
Thank you very much for these hints. A video says more than a million words.

I managed to disconnect the clutch cable and the brake connection, and managed to undo (with great accessibility difficulty) all 6 nuts which hold the cracked backplate secured to the vehicle body.

So I released the backplate from all 6 bolts, but I can not remove it from the vehicle.
It has go to out in a straight line in order to slide out from the brake connection boot cover. However, the steering shaft blocks that path.

Do I have to remove the steering shaft now and how to do that?
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 05:38 by Bosanek.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds