BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

new to the Jimny

• garry ingledew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2020 09:33 #227811 by garry ingledew
new to the Jimny was created by garry ingledew
Morning all, new member here.
Over the next few months I am looking to sell my bongo and get a Jimny (Gen3). The kids are off to uni and I am after something a bit different. It would be my daily drive and then a weekend fun vehicle. I am not interested on off roading, but want to set it up as a camper. Initially I am getting a pull out awning, but intend to also get a roof tent ( most prob clam shell type)

So.
what is the length of the roof
what is the max weight on the roof
Has anybody fitted a rooftent
Has anybody changed the roof bars

Also I will be looking at a 2007-2009 jimny, are there any good buyers guides around that will highlight what to look out for/check? I am used to older vehicles, my bongo 25yrs old, so know there will be issues.

Any picks of changed roof bars would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Garry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2020 09:40 #227813 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic new to the Jimny
A JIMNY WELCOME FROM N/WALES

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Sep 2020 13:28 #227826 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic new to the Jimny
Welcome to the forum. The main problem is going to be the roof load limit is 30kg. There will be people who claim to have had no problems with ignoring this but the limit exists and in the event of an incident the police, courts and insurance will get very heavy if you are over the design limit set by the manufacturer.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Sep 2020 17:20 - 06 Sep 2020 17:22 #227836 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic new to the Jimny
Hi and welcome along.
Lamberts correct with the possibility of exceeding a manufacturers limit, but it does not stop people. Changing the suspension, lifting the.body or adding large tyres will also alter the original design criteria, but these are very common modifications. Is it ok? it's a can of worms :laugh:
It boils down to it's your Jimny and do what you want to it, so long as you are happy with the modifications.

what is the length of the roof - about 170cm before you start overhanging
what is the max weight on the roof - document 30kg, also documented as a roof rail limit (in 2007 user manual)
Has anybody fitted a rooftent - yes people have, but not me.
Has anybody changed the roof bars - yes, very easy to do, they unbolt and you can make your own or purchase racks. You unclip the end covers to gain access to the bolts.

Hope this helps
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 Sep 2020 17:22 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Sep 2020 17:37 #227837 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic new to the Jimny
And whilst I accept that, as Busta points out in his link about the land rover crash, if it goes wrong the authorities will get very heavy regardless of what you have declared or not. If there's any hint of fault or unroadworthyness[spelling] attributable to your modifications there's every chance they'll use it in evidence against you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds