BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Drivers side. Hub, Bearing issue.

• JoelE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 13:27 #226979 by JoelE
Drivers side. Hub, Bearing issue. was created by JoelE
Hi Guys,
Bronze /coppered coloured fluid/oil has started leaking out the front drivers side hub of my 1998 Jimny. No wobbling or noises when driving. wheel has just a littel play in it when shaken.
Is this a bearing issue. Not much of a mechanic but have access to tools.
Two Photos attached.

Any advice much appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2020 08:00 #227025 by bryn
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...g_pin_bearing_change

Read the beginning which will tell you which of you brings is going.
Looks like king pin to me.

bryn
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelE

• Hank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2020 15:36 #227043 by Hank
Replied by Hank on topic Drivers side. Hub, Bearing issue.
Looks like your halfshaft oil seals failed. It's very possible your kingpin bearings and outer wheel bearing may be dead, or maybe not. Mine was leaking for awhile and the bearing was only washed out but didn't need changing. Take off the swivel housing, change the halfshaft seal, check the bearings and re-grease them with some waterproof grease and go from there, as stated above the wiki tells you everything you need to know and there's great videos by Martin on youtube about it

More
22 Aug 2020 08:37 #227152 by kirkynut
There will be bearing failure somewhere here, so you don't want to go to the efforts of stripping it down and replacing the oil seal to have to do it again because you didn't fix the offending bearings.

I know the history of my wheel bearings and kingpin bearings as I am the one that has replaced them over the decade or so I've owned my Jimny so I know what is likely needing replacement.

The chances are it's just kingpin bearings at £25 a side from the BigJimny Shop plus postage and this includes seals. They are exactly what Suzuki would sell you for much more.

If you buy yourself a wheel bearing nut tool from the shop at the same time and own a very big breaker bar, you can remove the wheel bearing to see what it's like but you get a good idea by removing all the brakes and spinning it, with the wheel loosly bolted back on with just 3 nuts if needed to hear if it grumbles. It's tricky to feel for play in the front wheel bearings because there's a thick seal on the back and this rubs, making a noise as it does so.

If you can satisfy yourself that the wheel bearing is quiet, only replace the kingpin bearings and oil seal. Wheel bearings on the front are about £45 each from memory, so you don't want to replace them for no reason and ideally you need a press, although there are other inventive methods I think are on the Wiki.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelE

• JoelE
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2020 20:09 #227668 by JoelE
Replied by JoelE on topic Drivers side. Hub, Bearing issue.
So, Parts arrived. Rains came, tent went up son came out got it fixed. Turns out it was the wheel bearing totally rusted away.
Replaced that and the kingpin bearings even though they didn't look bad. Swivel seal needed changing(adding, as it didn't even have one).
Thanks for all your input, This forum, the wiki and the youtube vids made the job doable for me.
Cheers all!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds