BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4th Gens on bigger than stock tyres

More
04 Dec 2021 23:11 #240482 by PabloAzH
I'm considering getting tougher AT or MT tyres on my auto JB74 (last time going off road I had a puncture on the sidewall of one of the OEM tyres that had to be replaced), but from all I've read here I'm a bit worried about its effect on the car performance on road (which is where mine runs about 70% of the time).
If I were to fit 215 75 15 AT tyres such as BFG or Maxxis (easier to find in Brazil) the weight increase per tyre would be around 5 kg/11 lbs (OEM wheels: 7.6 kg/16.8 lbs | OEM tyres: 9.8 kg/21.6 lbs | AT 215-75-15 tyres: 15 kg/33 lbs).
Also, I found these Rays A-LAP-J 16" forged wheels that weight just 4.8 kg/10.6 lbs each. If I had them with BFG AT 215-70-16 tyres (15 kg/33 lbs) or 225-70-16 tyres (15.7 kg/34.6 lbs) total weight increase would be less, respectively 2.4 kg/5.3 lbs or 3.1 kg/ 6.8 lbs.

I know it is a bit of a very specific question, but has anyone installed these A-LAP-J wheels or heard from someone who had them installed and could point out if they have helped to keep the OEM performance on road with chunkier tyres? Or could anyone advice on how much that wheel+tyre weight difference would affect performance, so that I could have a better idea if purchasing lighter wheels just for the sake of performance would be worth it?

Former owner of JB43 (4sport BR trim) for 6 years/200,000+ km
Currently own auto JB74 since Aug-21 (50,000 km)
- OME kit (coils, shocks, panhard bracket and caster correction)
- front PPF to avoid paint chips
- rear custom deck
- Audison/Hertz sound system

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2021 00:41 #240484 by fordem
I've just (about two weeks now) fitted 215/75R15 General Grabber A/TX tires to my JB74, one reason for going with this size is a 215 is the widest tire recommended for the 5.5" rim width of the OEM alloys, and a second is this is the size tire that Suzuki themselves are using on the limited edition Jimny Safari model (it comes with Maxxis AT980)

I would describe the impact on "on road" performance as negligible, if you're into "first away from the traffic light" sprints, you'll notice a degradation in "zippiness", if that's not your driving style, what you'll notice is a much more stable vehicle.

Personally I would not switch to a 215/70R16 with the lighter rim - yes, the diameter is almost identical, and the total weight increase is reduced, but, you've moved more of the weight, further away from the center of rotation, and that makes it both harder to start turning and harder to stop turning - I feel the impact on performance is going to be greater.

I did something very similar with a Suzuki Swift many years ago - I went from the OEM steel wheels with OEM 155/70R13 tires to an alloy rim with 185/60R13 rubber - increase in diameter was 0.2", I don't remember the individual weight of the tire & rim, but the increase in total weight wasn't worth worrying about - we had more than enough power to get the car rolling, but stopping it from any speed was an absolute nightmare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PabloAzH

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Dec 2021 05:42 #240487 by Lambert
I have driven a selection of different peoples gen3 Jimny with different levels of modifications and tyre size some adjusted to cope with the different tyre size others just left. Each time I have always noticed that they feel heavier especially setting off, but within reason that sensation of additional weight disappears once moving. The only time I felt it was worth more than a passing comment to the owner was in an auto running 30s on standard gears, that was really horrible to drive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PabloAzH

More
05 Dec 2021 09:32 #240488 by Soeley
Have you considered or can you get in your area the Yokohama Geolanders, they do them in stock size. I have them, and have heard lots of good feedback from other people.

More
05 Dec 2021 12:38 - 05 Dec 2021 12:51 #240489 by PabloAzH
Thank you folks!

Fordem, I have also heard about the weight distribution issue from a friend. I am guessing it would be hard to estimate the overall gain in performance in a slightly lighter wheel+tyre setup if at the same time you get most of its weight shifted outwards, right? Probably not worth spending a small fortune on those A-LAP-J wheels to find out... I know you have not spent much time yet with the General Grabber tyres, but how do you like them thus far? It's one of the few options for 215-75-15 I have here.

Thanks for sharing your experience Lambert, I guess my main worry with performance could be resumed to overtaking long trucks on simple one-lane-in-each-direction roads, which is the way most of the Brazilian roads in the countryside are. Sometimes you need to overtake, where allowed, trucks going at 40-50 kph or you may find yourself stuck behind them for really large stretch.

Soeley, I wish I could get the Geolanders here! Curreently the only 215-75-15 AT tyres I can find here are General Grabbers, Maxxis or Pirelli Scorpions. I have heard good things about the first two. I would have to go up in size to the tyres used by pickup trucks such as Hiluxes and Rangers to get more variety, but then I am pretty sure the effect on performance would be more noticeable.

Former owner of JB43 (4sport BR trim) for 6 years/200,000+ km
Currently own auto JB74 since Aug-21 (50,000 km)
- OME kit (coils, shocks, panhard bracket and caster correction)
- front PPF to avoid paint chips
- rear custom deck
- Audison/Hertz sound system
Last edit: 05 Dec 2021 12:51 by PabloAzH.

More
05 Dec 2021 14:57 #240492 by fordem

Have you considered or can you get in your area the Yokohama Geolanders, they do them in stock size. I have them, and have heard lots of good feedback from other people.

I feel that a discussion on Geolandars (or any other tire) is pointless unless you're going to specify which of the Geolandars you're discussing - I've run several different Geolandars over the years, admittedly never on a Jimny - I've run Geolandar HTs, ATs and I'm currently running the AT G015 on a 1998 Grand Vitara, I'd say they're nothing to get excited about, they're black, round and get the job done.

More
05 Dec 2021 15:14 - 05 Dec 2021 15:15 #240493 by fordem

Fordem, I have also heard about the weight distribution issue from a friend. I am guessing it would be hard to estimate the overall gain in performance in a slightly lighter wheel+tyre setup if at the same time you get most of its weight shifted outwards, right? Probably not worth spending a small fortune on those A-LAP-J wheels to find out... I know you have not spent much time yet with the General Grabber tyres, but how do you like them thus far? It's one of the few options for 215-75-15 I have here.

I'm quite impressed with the Grabber A/TX - to the point where I have been tempted to swap out a perfectly good set of Geolandar AT G015 tires (on my Grand Vitara) that have at least two more years of tread left on them.

They have very good reviews (in the US markets), and so far I've found only one "down side" to them - they fit just under the arch flares of the Jimny, which means they throw mud & dirt onto the sides of the vehicle and out the back, mud flaps are a must if you're going to run these, I have them on order.

I'm in Guyana (so to speak, your next door neighbor) and as in Brazil, we have a lot of two lane (one in each direction) roads, so far I've had no issues with overtaking, the car accelerates just fine - the performance degradation is only really noticeable from a standstill, and in my opinion is minor, once you're moving, it's not that noticeable, at least that's how I feel.

Incidentally, neither the Geolandars nor the Grabbers are available on the local market, and the only 215/75R15 tires available here were an LT (light truck) tire, which would have been significantly heavier - both the Grabbers on the Jimny and the Geolandars on the GV were purchased in the US and shipped out - the pricing when I do that is comparable to what I would pay here, so I do it to get the tire that I want.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2021 15:15 by fordem.

More
06 Dec 2021 02:48 - 06 Dec 2021 10:56 #240498 by lookonimages
exceptional tyre the general grabber. 215/75R15
have done about 5000km.

on road they are NOT noisy, and the same as std tires. Grabbers have good handling characteristics in wet and dry, off road they come to their full potential.

In sand I run them at .7 bar. the jimny just float over sand.
on rocky terrain, drop pressure down and they ensure you have a mountain goat jimny.
on gravel it is exceptional tyre.

not tested in heavy muddy terrain, but have heard good stuff.

Last edit: 06 Dec 2021 10:56 by lookonimages.

More
06 Dec 2021 11:03 #240505 by lookonimages

PabloAzH wrote: Thank you folks!

Thanks for sharing your experience Lambert, I guess my main worry with performance could be resumed to overtaking long trucks on simple one-lane-in-each-direction roads, which is the way most of the Brazilian roads in the countryside are. Sometimes you need to overtake, where allowed, trucks going at 40-50 kph or you may find yourself stuck behind them for really large stretch.

Soeley, I wish I could get the Geolanders here! Curreently the only 215-75-15 AT tyres I can find here are General Grabbers, Maxxis or Pirelli Scorpions. I have heard good things about the first two. I would have to go up in size to the tyres used by pickup trucks such as Hiluxes and Rangers to get more variety, but then I am pretty sure the effect on performance would be more noticeable.

Pablo
visit the South African 4x4 community forums. just search "General grabber" on the forum. there are 100's of posts about the general grabbers in SA.

excellent overlanding tyre also.

there are also results of tyre manufacturets tests in SA of which grabbers were part. they did perform very well against well known brands at double the price.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
06 Dec 2021 15:39 #240513 by 300bhpton

I did something very similar with a Suzuki Swift many years ago - I went from the OEM steel wheels with OEM 155/70R13 tires to an alloy rim with 185/60R13 rubber - increase in diameter was 0.2", I don't remember the individual weight of the tire & rim, but the increase in total weight wasn't worth worrying about - we had more than enough power to get the car rolling, but stopping it from any speed was an absolute nightmare.
Kinda sounds more like a breaking issue or those cars had dreadful dreadful brakes as standard.

More
06 Dec 2021 19:37 #240520 by fordem

Let me put it this way, we had three Swifts, two five doors and a four door, only one had the wider tires, only one had brake issues and ended up with warped rotors, and the start of the issues coincided with the installation of the tire/rim combination.
That's enough to convince me that the problem was related to the additional rotating mass

More
06 Dec 2021 20:22 #240523 by Busta
I agree with 300. I've made much bigger changes in tyre size to small cars and never felt that much difference with braking. Going from 135/65-13 to 195/55-15 on a Peugeot 205 caused lots of issues but braking wasn't one of them.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds