BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4th Gens on bigger than stock tyres

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Aug 2020 20:39 #226274 by Lambert
but what if my Dreadnaught is not as fast as I Believe she is? I would have to then openly admit that. Oh hang on. "Straight roads are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers" if i remember correctly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2020 20:46 #226276 by 300bhpton

mlines wrote: Perhaps we should all run one of those phone GPS acceleration apps, such as "drag Racer" on Google play store.

Multiple runs that are then averaged and publish the results. Perhaps 0-50 and/or 30-50.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.milejko.dragracer

Then we can compare across Jimnys, the more we have the better the results

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes a great idea. I have one on my iPhone called ‘Race Timer’. Which allows you to program a custom speed metric.

Personally I’d avoid anything starting from a standstill as it is high dependant on the driver and surface.

More
07 Aug 2020 22:02 #226288 by crash486
I have 2 sets of tyres. The originals I use for day to day and a set of 215/75R15 MTs for off road.
I know when the MTs are on the car but I just trundle along to my trails and then enjoy their benefits.
Day to day the stock tyres are better in all aspects on road and I'm glad I have them and swaping them over regularly gives you an appreciation for the difference.
Is on road performance affected by my off road tyres ? Yes, absolutely.
On road I run the MTs at 30+ psi and that helps but acceleration is affected. I think its likely you are feeling the effects of that extra rotating mass.
I've seen some owners buy light weight forged wheels with the lightest tyres to retain the original wheel tyre weight but get those offroad benefits and not heavily affect on road.
So hopefully its nothing mechanical (problems) and you're just attuned to your Jimny.

crash486 JB74W

• SANDU
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2021 21:39 #240224 by SANDU
Replied by SANDU on topic 4th Gens on bigger than stock tyres
Hello guys,
I have a friend, owner of a 2020 Jimny.
we would like to install 33 tires on it. Actually, we already ordered Maxxis Creepy Crawlers 255/85R16, which are nearly 33x10-16.
We know that a guy in Australia have 33 tires and it works. Yes, we will have to trim a little, we have a +5cm suspension, so that should be ok for now.

the question is, what offset will we require for wheels to avoid any rub at suspension arms? I know that -
ET-25 will work, but I can’t find the information what is the minimum offset that works. -25 can be too wide as I understand.

thanks in advance.

More
19 Nov 2021 23:24 #240226 by Roger Fairclough
Hi Sandu, and welcome to the forum.

So you want to install 33" tyres on your mates Gen.4.
Sounds interesting, but exactly what do you hope to achieve?

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2021 05:30 #240228 by Lambert
The arches can always be trimmed or extended to cover the tyres that's easy. With 33s you are going to have to do a transfer box regear as an absolute minimum to make it even vaguely driveable commonly they are available in 17/87% reduction high/low which given that the 33s are 21% bigger than stock is hardly enough but better than nothing. So you will probably need to adjust the ring and pinion ratios in the differentials too. As for offset I would go for something quite high like negative 30 to clear the arms and worry about the protrusion past the body later. I would also be looking at trussing the axle cases, upgrading the cv joints and fitting HD axle shafts. Making it reliable is not going to be simple or cheap.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Nov 2021 12:07 #240264 by Roger Fairclough
Acceleration is all about passing another motor. If you want to behave like Mirling Stross all the time that's up to you but in the real world 40 - 60 in 5th gear and ditto 50 -70 are much more realistic.

Tonka is standard with regards engine, transmission and tyres. Dry flattish road, no wind. Accelerate and get into top gear and begin to speed up. As I passed 40 I pushed the button and ditto as I passed 60. Average for 3 runs 11.5 seconds. Only one run for 50 -70 due to traffic but 18seconds.

On my LC, fitting 33" muds increased the 50 - 70 by about 50%.

Anyone want to try it?

Roger
ps. A quick look on the web and i couldn't find any performance figures.

More
21 Nov 2021 14:04 #240267 by 300bhpton

Hello guys,
I have a friend, owner of a 2020 Jimny.
we would like to install 33 tires on it. Actually, we already ordered Maxxis Creepy Crawlers 255/85R16, which are nearly 33x10-16.
We know that a guy in Australia have 33 tires and it works. Yes, we will have to trim a little, we have a +5cm suspension, so that should be ok for now.

the question is, what offset will we require for wheels to avoid any rub at suspension arms? I know that -
ET-25 will work, but I can’t find the information what is the minimum offset that works. -25 can be too wide as I understand.

thanks in advance.

First of all, good luck with this project and I'm genuinely keen to see how it will look. I suspect mini Monster Truck. :D

That said, I think you'll need a lot of work. I'm not sure just trimming will be enough and a 5cm (2" lift) is not a lot. And of course if you are off roading and have flexy suspension, all of your lift will be lost under suspension compression anyhow.

I'd also guess this size will murder on road performance. I found a huge reduction in performance going to a 217/75R15 AT!

So I think you may want more power and torque as well as re-gearing. On that note, I hate to think what it'll do to your low 1st crawl speed. Will certainly need to re-gear everything I'd have thought.

For the record a 255/85R16 should be 33.1", for reference this is my Jimny on 215/75R15 (27.7") AT's. Rolled up next to it is a 33.10.50R15 for my Land Rover. This is only 32.5" tall. So a 255/85 will be over 1/2" taller again and only slightly less narrow!!!

Are Jimny axles/drivetrain strong enough for tyres of this size?

• SANDU
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2021 16:37 - 21 Nov 2021 16:38 #240271 by SANDU
Replied by SANDU on topic 4th Gens on bigger than stock tyres
as a better idea, this Jimny from Australia has a similar setup that we want to achieve:

I know we need to re-gear the transfer box, we will do it with Protrack gears and this should work enough.
We also know that the +5cm suspension will not be enough for the 33" diameter tires, and we will have to trim the fenders, but I think we will handle this after we fit the tires.

Still, we are unsure which offset to chose for these wheels. 
I want them to sit inline with fender flares, but in the same time, I want to be sure they will not rub anywhere on suspension at full flex. This is why I posted here, in the hope to find a suggestion

Ring and pinion, we will not remove yet, because, if the future will be good, this car may sit on portals after that. It depends on the final budget.
I know from Australia that we need to upgrade the propshafts. The halfshafts and CVs are strong enough for 33" tires, they say.

And one more, the rear diff will soon be an ARB airlocker, so one weak point less. 
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 16:38 by SANDU.

More
21 Nov 2021 22:19 - 21 Nov 2021 22:21 #240277 by Soeley
Have you seen this Icelandic Jimny? A very good build that look factory fresh, a lot of work has gone into it.
www.youtube.com/channel/UClku6Tqzh8MvUcoMCpl8gUA 

Last edit: 21 Nov 2021 22:21 by Soeley.

More
22 Nov 2021 07:39 #240283 by Busta
Are the Gen4 CVs different to those in the Gen 3? If they are genuinely good enough for 33s then they would be a good upgrade for earlier Jimnys. I believe most other driveline components are the same.

More
22 Nov 2021 18:50 #240294 by mlines
As Suzuki only list the whole drivershaft (which is longer than the Gen3 shafts) it is hard to tell if the CV is very different from the Gen3.

The wheel bearings at one end are identical so the shaft diameter at this point is the same. The Diff Gears that the driveshafts plug into at the other end are the ones fitted to the Samurai, Vitara and X90.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds