BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Jimny jb74 pulling to the left

More
04 Aug 2020 15:32 #226078 by wicho001
Hello guys,

Im having my first "issue" with my jimny and would like to have your opinion on this matter.

I just notice that my jimny is pullint to the left, I dont remember if this happened after I fitted the 2" suspension lift or after fitting the castor correction bushes but the thing is that I need to compensate my steering wheel to the right in order to go straight, if I let go the steering wheel the car pull to the left. NOTE: The pull is very minimal.

Took the jimny to 2 differents shops (with brand new wheels aligmment machines) and everything seems ok. Same tire pressure on all 4 tires, wheels checked and rotation done, what else do I need to check?

Thanks in advanced,

Luis

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2020 16:04 #226079 by Roger Fairclough
I assume that you are driving on the same roads as before the suspension lift so we can discount road camber.
So, did you have the castor checked before the lift? I ask because there is quite a variation between acceptable limits with the standard suspension and adding correction bushes can take it beyond these limits. It's best to check before the lift to get some idea as to whether you need the bushes at all. When the lift was done were the bolts on the frame end of the suspension arms slackened off and then torqued up after the car was back on the ground? this is important as you do not want tension in the bushes when the car is static. Do you have copies of the information sheets from the alignment companies and they list the castor angles? I don't know what the limits are but someone on the forum will hopefully help here.

The other items to check are tyre pressures, toe in or out and binding brakes.

Roger

More
04 Aug 2020 16:11 - 04 Aug 2020 16:12 #226080 by Scimike
Hi - assume you are in the UK?

The natural camber on the road surface to drain water to the left can cause a vehicle to pull very slightly to the left. You need to find a flat carpark and see if it's still happening to eliminate this as a cause.
That only leaves the brake on the left side, if it's binding slightly or the wheel rotating is not as free as the right you can experience a pull, not necessarily only when you brake.
I am out of ideas now:)

Roger types faster than me. - what he said as well

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Aug 2020 16:12 by Scimike.

More
04 Aug 2020 16:17 #226082 by wicho001

Scimike wrote: Hi - assume you are in the UK?

The natural camber on the road surface to drain water to the left can cause a vehicle to pull very slightly to the left. You need to find a flat carpark and see if it's still happening to eliminate this as a cause.
That only leaves the brake on the left side, if it's binding slightly or the wheel rotating is not as free as the right you can experience a pull, not necessarily only when you brake.
I am out of ideas now:)

Roger types faster than me. - what he said as well

Thanks for you reply.

Not in the UK mate. I will check the brakes then. Thanks again.

More
04 Aug 2020 16:47 #226084 by wicho001
Not a brake issue, both front tires rotated giving the same amount of effort.

More
04 Aug 2020 16:55 #226085 by mlines
Have you adjusted the steering wheel to be central after the lift?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Aug 2020 16:59 #226086 by wicho001

mlines wrote: Have you adjusted the steering wheel to be central after the lift?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes they did, on both shops but when I ride I have to compensate.

The picture attached show where the steering wheel goes without any imput.

More
04 Aug 2020 18:50 #226088 by Roger Fairclough
I am assuming that the comment re: and the wheels moving freely was ascertained after the front axle was lifted on a jack. If so it's possible that when you brake the piston/slide is reluctant to move back due, to dirt or rust, so jack up again, put the brakes on and quickly check for free rotation.
Also check the back brakes and see if during the lift the h/brake cable was inadvertently snagged causing the near side to drag.

Roger

More
04 Aug 2020 18:57 #226089 by Roger Fairclough
Another thought. You drive on the right so if your Jimny is pulling to the left it is climbing up the camber of the road.
This is very odd!

Roger

More
04 Aug 2020 20:52 #226091 by wicho001
Thanks Roger.

Left the Jimny at the dealership, lets see what they say about it.

More
11 Aug 2020 19:29 #226532 by wicho001
Update: I have the car back, the car still pull to the left (not as much as before) and the steering wheel still not centered, going back to the dealership tomorrow.

More
11 Aug 2020 21:16 #226537 by wicho001
The only thing left to check is the caster correction bushes that were installed with the suspension kit. Does anyone have an instruction manual for these? My kit arrived without one.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds