BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Lockers for the JB74

More
25 Jul 2020 22:32 #225658 by Boris Ekner
Hi guys,
I'm looking for someone who is open to have a conversation on diff lockers for the new Jimny, the JB74 (Gen4).
- Please let me know if you are the person I'm looking for.

Here are my thoughts...
As the Gen4 Jimny has brake assisted "limited slip differential" (BLSD) that I find are pretty brutal when engaged I would prefer a diff locker. But as I have done research I have found that the Gen3 diff lockers won't fit the Gen4 rear driveshafts. To my understanding Suzuki changed the diameter of the driveshafts for the Gen4.

When I saw Martin Lines video installing an air-locker in his Gen3 Jimny it would be very interesting to hear his opinion on the two cars as he has both a Gen3 and a Gen4.

Looking forward to your replies.

..Boris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 23:15 #225661 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Lockers for the JB74
ARB have a diff locker for the JB74W. Some people, myself included are fitting it for the express reason of reducing the impact of the BLSD format.
I felt I needed to carry too much momentum in order for the BLSD to function. The locker allows a gentler approach and hopefully some lower TC gearing in the future will help further for the 4x4 terrain in my area .

crash486 JB74W

More
26 Jul 2020 00:43 #225663 by Boris Ekner
Replied by Boris Ekner on topic Re:Lockers for the JB74
Thank you for the reply.

Your reason for fitting the ARB locker is mine as well. I too find the BLSD too brutal when the momentum is low. Meaning, a locker of some kind is prefered as it provides better control and the ARB is probably one of the best on the market. But however good the ARB locker is, it costs a small fortune...

Many years ago I had a Gen3 Jimny. I fitted a LockRight locker in the rear and liked it a lot. It was nothing but amazing. The locker worked flawlessly on all surfaces I drove. Tarmac, gravel, snow, ice, dirt, grass. But as Suzuki changed the diameter(?) of the rear driveshafts in Gen4 the Gen3 lockers will no longer fit.

That said, the following idea might be an ignorant and an amusing question...
1. Do you think the Gen3 driveshafts will fit the rear axle of the Gen4?
- Meaning, can the Gen4 rear axle be rebuilt/"downgraded" and that way provide a wider range of locker options?
2. If 1. is a NO - do you think a complete Gen3 rear axle will be another option?

Best regards
..Boris

More
26 Jul 2020 02:45 #225666 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Re:Lockers for the JB74
4xfour art do a smart locker
www.4xfourart.com/kopyasi-jm-smartlock-rear-different-1
Tre do an e-locker

crash486 JB74W
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris Ekner

More
26 Jul 2020 04:20 #225668 by Boris Ekner
The 4xFourArt locker is the one I'm looking for! Thank you! :-)
It looks just the same as the one I had in my Gen3 Jimny 10+ years ago in Sweden.

I mailed them as soon as I saw your reply asking for confirmation it fits the Gen4, JB74, 2019 Jimny. Fingers crossed I get a positive reply.

Best regards
..Boris

More
28 Jul 2020 19:01 #225798 by Boris Ekner
Update 1:
www.tre4x4.com has have confirmed they have an Air Locker for the 2019 Jimny, JB74.
Price is $659US for 1 TR208 Locker + 1 compressor, shipping included.

However their USA representative wants to know the diameter of the rear driveshaft & number of splines before accepting an order.
- Does any one have knowledge of drive shaft diameter & splines to give an accurate answer?

Update 2:
www.4xfourart.com/kopyasi-jm-progressive-rear-differe-1 have confirmed they have a progressive locker for the JB74.
Shipping cost to my address in Miami is €30. Awaiting price information for the locker itself.

Question:
As the progressive locker re-use the original spider gears, does the Gen4/JB74 use the same spider gears as Gen3?
*Progressive locker - Lokka, PowerTrax LockRight

Best regards
..Boris

More
28 Jul 2020 19:39 #225804 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Lockers for the JB74
Assuming you mean the gears that transfer the power to the rear halfshafts.

Gen3 Jimny - Part Number: 27341-83000

Gen4 Jimny - Part Number: 27341-83000

This means they are the same, so have the same spline count. In fact all of the core components in the diff are the same.

I would also be suspicious that they quote the number a "TR208" as the classic locker for the Gen3 is the RD208, are they quoting you for a Gen3 locker? Mind you, I see that one UK supplier lists them as RD208Gen3 and RD208Gen4 so there might not be a lot of difference as you would have thought the number would have changed significantly

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
28 Jul 2020 19:51 #225805 by 300bhpton
I think there is an ATB available also for the rear. Jimnybits list one.

I think that is the way I’d be going. Enhances the traction control. Requires no user intervention. Works in all situations, including 2wd on road. And doesn’t reduce your turning circle.

But in the U.K. we have far less rock crawling style terrain.

More
29 Jul 2020 22:51 #225842 by Boris Ekner

mlines wrote: Assuming you mean the gears that transfer the power to the rear halfshafts.

Gen3 Jimny - Part Number: 27341-83000

Gen4 Jimny - Part Number: 27341-83000

This means they are the same, so have the same spline count. In fact all of the core components in the diff are the same.

I would also be suspicious that they quote the number a "TR208" as the classic locker for the Gen3 is the RD208, are they quoting you for a Gen3 locker? Mind you, I see that one UK supplier lists them as RD208Gen3 and RD208Gen4 so there might not be a lot of difference as you would have thought the number would have changed significantly

Yes, I refer to the half shafts, as you call them.
Based on your answer this should mean that the progressive locker, i.e. Lokka and/or LockRight from Gen3 should fit just fine in the rear of Gen4, right?

Update from 4xFourArt.com:
The price is €200 + shipping.

PS
I will ask them if it is the same locker for the front axle as well.
I'll keep you posted.

Regards
..Boris

• GrelloJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2021 08:16 #236675 by GrelloJimny
Replied by GrelloJimny on topic Re:Re:Lockers for the JB74
Hi, I similarly have been looking at ‘Lokka’ and ‘LockRight’ diff lockers, but they are all only for the Gen 3. Did you find out if the drive shafts & splines are the same on the Gen 3 and Gen 4?? If so they should fit on the Gen 4.

More
14 Jul 2021 20:27 #236686 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Lockers for the JB74
I drive a gen 3 with a Quaife ATB..... I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, you would have to drive it, to fully appreciate it. It alters the chassis dynamic in a big way.....

Have a read up on the way they interact with modern ABS traction systems.... Very clever and very effective from what I read.....

I am currently fitting a transfer case handbrake which will allow me to fit "fiddle" brakes on the rear wheels, allowing me to manually brake each rear wheel. If I brake a wheel that is spinning,  the ATB diff will transfer drive to the other wheel.... Doing manually, what the gen 4 does with its computers...

sniper

More
14 Jul 2021 20:56 #236687 by Roger Fairclough
If you have a Quaife ATB I do not understand why you want fiddle brakes as well. Surely the ATB will do it all for you.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds