BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help choosing a lift kit

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2020 09:10 #225563 by Radupuh
Help choosing a lift kit was created by Radupuh
Hello,

A couple of months down the line I'm planning to install a lift kit on my 2000 soft-top Jimny, as the first planned improvement once I get its engine problems sorted, and I started doing some research. On the market where I live (Romania) I mainly get 3 options, everything else being comparatively harder to get (Tried to find some liks with English texts):

Raptor 4x4:
www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-hd-suspen...al-suzuki-jimny.html
www.raptor4x4.co.uk/raptor-4x4-hd-suspen...al-suzuki-jimny.html

Ironman
4wd1.com/ironman-jimny-suspension.html

OME
www.bestride.ro/en-gb/lift-kit-40-mm-ome-suzuki-jimny.html

The Raptors (especially the non-HD one, which I was told it will be enough as I don't want to change my front bumper) are significantly cheaper, but I found complaints from people online that the rubber (?) sleeves get damaged very easily.

The OME ones are by far the most expensive of the bunch, and also somewhat smaller (40mm vs 50mm on the others). I'm not sure how much of the price difference is going toward tangible benefits, and how much toward the ARB brand name.

Ironman would be a pretty good middle-of-the-pack choice (at least price-wise) and they're a good quality brand as far as I know.However, a friend of mine who owns a Jimny with Ironman suspension doesn't seem very happy about how it feels. However, his Jimmy is more heavily loaded than mine will be (hardtop, large winch, wider tires, roof rack, AC installation, while I only plan on a compact winch) so I don't think his experience is 100% applicable to what I'm going to do.

So I''m looking for extra opinions. Anybody has/had the lift kits mentioned above? What's your opinion/experience with them?
I'd also like to mention that I will be doing a fair bit of on-road driving with the Jimny (due to where I live it's hard to find good off-road terrain closer than 1-2 hours drive) and a lot of light/medium off-road.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2020 09:49 #225566 by jackonlyjack

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2020 13:01 #225580 by Radupuh
Replied by Radupuh on topic Help choosing a lift kit
Thanks a lot for the link, do you know if the Black Raptors are any good? They seem surprisingly cheap.

Normally I'd rather buy something that's locally available also due to warranty, but I wouldn't say no to a great offer found somewhere else :)

• Phattaff
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2020 16:46 #225586 by Phattaff
Replied by Phattaff on topic Help choosing a lift kit
Hi
Have a look at the trail master kit sold on here, good price and a choice of shock set up.

More
24 Jul 2020 17:45 #225588 by jackonlyjack
The black raptor kits are used by many
I have never heard anyone say they're not good

Stay away from the Pro comp the shocks are too strong for the Jimny weight only good if you have steel bumpers and roll cage

Trial master is specifically designed for the Jimny and are good

Jimny bits are really good company to deal with ;)

Jack

More
25 Jul 2020 09:01 #225613 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Help choosing a lift kit
I recently had my car in a workshop that fitted a 2" Black Raptor kit to another Jimny whilst mine was there, they were very happy with it.

The TrailMaster kit is very well reviewed as Jack says.

I couldn't find a kit that offered what I wanted so I bought springs, shock absorbers, bushes and seats separately. I made a couple of errors but I am very happy now, I've hit a compromise that that suits what I want from the car.... I can blast about in the tight and twisty B roads with some confidence and that's where the car spends most of its time. I also lane a bit and whilst I have to "hit" the right line with a little more gusto than the big tyre cars, I haven't failed to stay with them in the Peaks and Lakes.

If you are considering the more expensive kit, my set up might be of interest....

15mm Superpro seats, Eibach +30mm Pro-Lift springs, AVO adjustable dampers, Polybush castor correction bushes, Superpro ARB bushes.

45mm total lift.

The Eibach springs used to be matched with Bilstein dampers in a kit, I'm not sure if that is still available but it would shave a few hundred pounds from the cost, I wanted adjustability so went with AVO.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds