BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winch help please

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2020 17:59 #225289 by Phattaff
Winch help please was created by Phattaff
Hi allNeed your help again, I have been gifted a champion c9500sd winch, the thing is I don't know if it works, where do I need to connect the live and neutral to see if it's working. Please see pics for reference
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2020 18:47 #225290 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Winch help please
Have you got a spare car battery to bench run it? What sort of cable was it supplied with? (other than what's in the picture)

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2020 18:59 - 18 Jul 2020 19:00 #225292 by Phattaff
Replied by Phattaff on topic Winch help please
Hi DAGZOOK
I have a spare battery to test it, but what you see in the pics is all I have, was going to use some heavy duty jump leads just to see if it would work before i went any further.
Phattaff
Last edit: 18 Jul 2020 19:00 by Phattaff.

More
18 Jul 2020 20:15 #225297 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Winch help please
I think you have to connect your positive to the to right connection where there is now only the thin red wire And your negative to the negative connection of the winch motor. This I cannot see on your picture but. I. Would expect it to be at the bottom or the back of the winch motor.

I would propose that you also connect a fuse, maybe 100A is sufficient for testing in the positive connection. For installation you would need a stronger fuse.

Generally I would recommend that you have the winch serviced (gears greased, bearings checked, break checked, coals checked, remote checked, ..) before you use it because used winches tend to die in the most critical moments.

In the internet, e.g., on the webpage of horntools.com there are wiring diagrams and before testing you might want to check you wiring.

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2020 20:52 #225298 by Phattaff
Cheers RainerK
Will have a look at the website, there is a thin black wire attached which seems to be an earth.

More
18 Jul 2020 21:12 #225300 by RainerK
The earth connection point should be a thick wire or there should be a bigger bolt to connect the earthing or in your case the negative jump starter cable..

And the positive connection would the left connection on the Albright box and not the right one as I wrote above.

More
19 Jul 2020 06:50 #225306 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Winch help please
I agree, the main L + N supply terminals should be large 100amp jobbies. The small black box on top of the winch is probably your remote/switch feed. There must be some big obvious terminals similar to what we can see on the front?

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 08:23 #225308 by Phattaff
Cheers Guys
Couldn't find the wiring diagrams, but think I understand what I need to do. Will post up pics again showing both sides of the winch just to be sure.
Thanks again for you're help
Phattaff

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 09:24 #225311 by Phattaff
Ok here are a couple of pics showing both sides of the winch. If I'm correct i need to connect to the positive on the black box then the negative to the bolt on the side of the winch?
Thanks again for your help
Phattaff

Attachments:

More
19 Jul 2020 09:40 #225313 by RainerK
Positive to the Albright and negative to the connection point at the bottom of the motor.

Keep also the small cables at the connection points connected so that you can use your remote control.

100A fuse is only for testing. If you operate your winch in the field it will be more like 400A but this something you have to find out.

Make sure that you have the winch fixed properly before testing because otherwise the casing will start to move.

More
19 Jul 2020 09:55 #225314 by RainerK

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 14:06 #225323 by Phattaff
Cheers RainerK

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds