BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clutch judder when hot and prop question.

• Dal
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2020 15:24 #225280 by Dal
I've just purchased my first Jimny, a 2007 JLX+ with 67000 miles on it. I think it's absolutely great and want to keep it forever, I just need to sort out a few things on it.

The worst thing is clutch judder after driving it for some time. It's absolutely fine if you leave it to rest for a while but once hot or whatever it's a nightmare! I'm assuming clutch contamination but asking here in case anyone has any other ideas before I pull the gearbox etc?

The other thing I can't find info on is to do with the propshaft. I know it's good practice to make alignment marks before removing one, however, someone removed the prop to fix an oil leak and I'm sceptical that they bolted it back in the same position as it left the factory. There are no marks on it at all. There is a vibration that goes right through the car if you don't change down through the gears enough. ... So the question is, once the factory balanced position has been lost, how can it be found again?

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2020 15:52 #225281 by Scimike
Hi
Re clutch judder. -. No magic fixes for this unfortunately, it's a replace the clutch and inspect the flywheel and look for leaks, reacting accordingly.

Propshaft - I stand to be corrected, but I believe the propshaft is balanced as a unit, therefore it does not actually matter how it is bolted to the axle flange when new. Marking the shaft is a way of making sure it goes in the same position to accommodate wear on a used vehicle, rather than balance. That said you only need to try it in three more positions and see if the vibration is less in one position.
Could be worth checking the universal joints as these can cause vibration if failing.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dal

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2020 16:09 #225282 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Clutch judder when hot and prop question.
Textbook answer from Mike, if you can't live with it you'll need to spend some money. The propshaft could well have had a bump, so a possible trip to the machine shop. Good luck, Chris

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jul 2020 17:38 #225288 by Lambert
When you say you get vibration if you don't change down gears what road speed and gear combination do you find problems in?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jul 2020 20:53 #225299 by Velocette
It might be worth checking that the clutch cable hasn't started to seize up. My 06 Jim had this and a quick lube untill a replacement was fitted transformed the car. Cheaper that a clutch as a start point.

• Dal
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 07:44 #225307 by Dal
Thanks for all the replies so far! I don't mind buying a clutch kit, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like the cable as is the case with my VW! I guess the factory prop alignment thing bothers me the most.
I'll be driving and getting under the car on Monday and I'll report back what I find. :unsure:

More
21 Jul 2020 07:46 #225417 by kirkynut
Sounds like the clutch to me, not the cable. The cables are cheap though and easy to change, so it might not be the end of the world to change it as a process of elimination but I'm sure it's the clutch.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
21 Jul 2020 20:17 #225439 by Busta
The propshafts don't need to be bolted on a specific way, but they will vibrate if the ends are not correctly aligned.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the rear prop which has a CV joint at one end.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds