BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ongoing mystery fault

• partho00
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2020 12:03 - 03 Jul 2020 12:05 #224444 by partho00
Ongoing mystery fault was created by partho00
Hi all, sorry to post again but I’m a bit stumped with a recent problem our Jimny 05 vvt has developed.

Starts perfectly and runs smooth for about 10-20min. Then all of a sudden loses power and engine wobbles at low rpm and stalls at lights.
If you wait for her to cool will start of again but 2-3min in get the same problem. Wait a few hours or overnight and will get 10-20min again.

I’ve replaced both the crank and cam sensors but this hasn’t made any difference (if anyone wants to buy some used but working sensors let me know!)

A friend ran an obd2 scanner which came back without any faults.

My only other thoughts are ht leads, plugs or ignition pack? Or could the wobble at temp be something more physical like a piston. No water loss or foam in the oil.

If no luck then I’ll have to bite the bullet and take her to the garage. But with a fault like this I have a feeling they’ll just keep replacing random parts and charging me until it’s fixed...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Tom
Last edit: 03 Jul 2020 12:05 by partho00.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2020 16:38 #224450 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Ongoing mystery fault
Hi Tom,
Crank and cam sensors are always at the top of the list with this type of fault, but cooling them with water can instantly fix the problem for a short time. As you have changed them they are sort of excluded, but eBay /Chinese copies can be iffy, so depending upon yours you could try cooling them?
If these are not the issue then the next culprits for these faults are HT and coil packs.If yours are original they are probably worth changing next as they have a hard life baking on top of the engine.
These are the top Jimny items that cause running issues and never produce OBD codes, do worth changing them yourself before you involve the garage. They are only going to guess also if they don't have codes to guide them.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jul 2020 16:39 #224451 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ongoing mystery fault
Where did you get the mew sensors hopefully a reliable supplier as there are increasing numbers of fake ones on places like large international auction sites. Assuming that you have good sensors then your thoughts on plugs leads and coils is likely the most reasonable next steps.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Jul 2020 17:59 #224456 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Ongoing mystery fault
My coil acted up like this. Went bad when hot and made the car run on two cylinders.
Removed the cover on the coils (m13) and that helped a bit when the coil got more air. I had a coil pack from a 99 baleno to test and it worked fine. Bought a new china made coil from ebay, Still works.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• partho00
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2020 08:10 #224467 by partho00
Replied by partho00 on topic Ongoing mystery fault
Thanks for the responses. Looks like coil pack and leads is next on the list!

Tom

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds