BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:I managed to crack the ABS ring! :)

More
23 Jun 2020 18:35 #223907 by HUN
My little jimny always find new ways to keep me busy! :laugh:
Yesterday I went for a 35 mile test drive to check my gearbox I had re-built 4 times recently...luckily all noise has gone and box worked like new! :woohoo:
Then I discovered that my off side rear wheel bearing has also gone....diff oil was everywhere. :(
Today I started in my garage as usual. :blink: I have never replaced wheel bearing before so I thought I give it a go.
After a few hours of cutting and grinding the both ABS ring and wheel bearing were off the shaft. I never thought I will be so happy for a crack! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Assembly is due tomorrow.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2020 19:15 #223908 by X8GGY
Congratulations on losing your (bearing) virginity ;)

Dave :woohoo:

More
23 Jun 2020 19:24 #223911 by HUN
Thanks Dave

Well, living alone for 3 years also means I cannot be picky! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
23 Jun 2020 22:13 #223919 by Scimike
Congratulations on your first "oh for the love of God please come off" bearing removal. I am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
24 Jun 2020 07:29 - 24 Jun 2020 07:35 #223929 by HUN
Thanks Scimike, I bet it was not the last!

I'm wondering how often I will need to do it as this particular bearing was replaced 3 years ago and the car has run only 8K miles ish since. :S Most of it's journey was 70 mph on motorways with only 300 miles heavy off-road. No other wheel bearing has been replaced since I bought it in 2015 (I've driven only 22K miles).

Altough I managed to get them off carefully I've seen signs of careless use of angle grinder... :angry: two cuts on the shaft made by someone else before me. Unfortunately one of them 1.6mm deep! :sick:

I found cutting the bearing was more difficult than ABS ring therefore I'm planning to pull the bearing off next time. Ordered two 36" long 3/8"UNC threaded bars which hopefully will work nicely with my 20t press B) . New bearing went in place with not much effort really. But the ABS ring is a different beast. It has to be cut off every time, no other alternatives..:unsure: New one gradually moved and took an increasing load of pressure every time I managed to slide. Last push was 9t when it went to it's final place! :pinch: Perhaps I should have heat up before?!? Axle shaft will worn out if this happens too often! :dry:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 07:35 by HUN.

More
24 Jun 2020 12:17 #223941 by Old Neil

HUN wrote: My little jimny always find new ways to keep me busy! :laugh:
Yesterday I went for a 35 mile test drive to check my gearbox I had re-built 4 times recently...luckily all noise has gone and box worked like new! :woohoo:
Then I discovered that my off side rear wheel bearing has also gone....diff oil was everywhere. :(
Today I started in my garage as usual. :blink: I have never replaced wheel bearing before so I thought I give it a go.
After a few hours of cutting and grinding the both ABS ring and wheel bearing were off the shaft. I never thought I will be so happy for a crack! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Assembly is due tomorrow.

Hi Hun
I hear you have experience repair jimny gearbox don't know what model you have i have a 2000jimny with G13BB i tryed to replace bearings but got stumped with the lay shaft, the shaft is two pieces how do you pull them apart
Neil

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
24 Jun 2020 15:26 #223948 by HUN
Hi Old Neil,

My Jimny has a newer R72 type gearbox. You have the older but more reliable version called R7ME. I usually work only on my own cars hence I had never seen that version in real before. Therefore unfortunately I cannot really advise on this subject other than try to familiarise yourself with the Suzuki Jimny Repair Manual. All I can say here is everything you need to know about this, you can find in the 99500_81A10_01E_2.pdf under SECTION 7A. Perhaps you have a private message?! :whistle:
Obviously you will need some essential/special tools to do this properly! Good luck! ;)

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Jun 2020 18:30 - 24 Jun 2020 18:32 #223955 by Riccy

HUN wrote: Thanks Scimike, I bet it was not the last!

I'm wondering how often I will need to do it as this particular bearing was replaced 3 years ago and the car has run only 8K miles ish since. :S Most of it's journey was 70 mph on motorways with only 300 miles heavy off-road. No other wheel bearing has been replaced since I bought it in 2015 (I've driven only 22K miles).

Altough I managed to get them off carefully I've seen signs of careless use of angle grinder... :angry: two cuts on the shaft made by someone else before me. Unfortunately one of them 1.6mm deep! :sick:

I found cutting the bearing was more difficult than ABS ring therefore I'm planning to pull the bearing off next time. Ordered two 36" long 3/8"UNC threaded bars which hopefully will work nicely with my 20t press B) . New bearing went in place with not much effort really. But the ABS ring is a different beast. It has to be cut off every time, no other alternatives..:unsure: New one gradually moved and took an increasing load of pressure every time I managed to slide. Last push was 9t when it went to it's final place! :pinch: Perhaps I should have heat up before?!? Axle shaft will worn out if this happens too often! :dry:

Put the shaft in the freezer tonight, then when you fit the abs collar tomorrow warm it up in the oven for a bit first (the abs collar). Much easier doing it that way.

I had a few issues with the getting the abs collar on far enough. I found that not getting it on enough made the bearing wear out much faster, perhaps explaining the short life you have experienced.

All gone now - floating rear conversion B) No more fighting with them collars for me :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 18:32 by Riccy.

More
24 Jun 2020 22:07 - 24 Jun 2020 22:18 #223964 by HUN
My fridge freezer is too small for this! Looks like instead of buying a 20t hydraulic press I should have bought a bigger freezer! :laugh:

Hmmm...I have changed my avatar image but for some reason system does not like it!? (128x128 pixel jpeg)

Never mind the giant mouse will do for now....

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 22:18 by HUN.

More
25 Jun 2020 08:23 #223975 by HUN
UNC 3/8" threaded bars have arrived this morning. :woohoo:
No more wheel bearing grinding!

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

• Dano0404
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2020 21:45 #224112 by Dano0404
Replied by Dano0404 on topic I managed to crack the ABS ring! :)
This won't work. Pushed two off the other day 10 ton for one. 15 ton on the other. Also it has badly scored up the abs retainer and slightly scored the shaft. If you want to reuse the abs retainer they will need to be made a loser fit, possibly use lock tight to hold in place as this holds the bearing there.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2020 06:47 #224120 by Lambert
Did you apply any heat to the ring, not glowing but hot like 200c?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds