BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

electric transfer case for manual vs automatic

More
15 Jun 2020 14:50 #223607 by Mr.m.y
Dear Good day
I swap R72 gearBox in my Automatic 2013 non-vvt 1.3 with standard effect
I got ain a big problem that Cruise speed very high RpM which 4.5 in 120KM
They told me because you have an electrical transfer case for Automatic has a high ratio
if we swap to the electrical transfer case for the manual car will be better in a highway

so the main question of how I know this transfer case is for a manual or automatic car
because I go to the scrapyard, it seems all from the outside are simpler and seller they don't know from which car come

there any number so I know the different

I know I need to replace pinion but now let start with transfers case which cheaper.

thankyou Best Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2020 19:25 #223615 by yakuza
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...r-1-3-petrol-manuals

In high gear ( wich the case is most likely shifted to when dismounted) you can turn the input shaft 1.3 times for one turn on the output shaft on a transfer case for an auto VVT Jimny.
For a manual VVT Jimny it is 1 turn on input equals one turn on the output.
It is easier to see if you make a mark on the flange.

See image or link for other ratios.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
15 Jun 2020 19:49 #223616 by Mr.m.y
First, thank you for the respond
I try to turn all in a scrapyard
all it seems the same ratio
I will this week
best regards

More
16 Jun 2020 07:24 #223628 by HUN
Does it mean if I replace my manual vvt transfer box to any other variant then my HIGH range will dramatically slow down? Also, in order to keep the existing H/L ratio I would need the auto vvt box? If so, people who own vvt jimny with crazy big tyres should not really bother to go down the route of rocklobsters when any box would do the trick?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
16 Jun 2020 08:10 #223630 by mlines
On one sense yes, but as always it depends where you started from. If you started with the worse ratio set-up then you can adjust it by mixing and matching transfer boxes and differentials and achieve what a Rocklobster achieves. Depending on where you source the parts from you can also do it fairly cheaply, particularly if the seller/scrapyard dont realise the potential of what the part gives to you.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
16 Jun 2020 10:22 - 16 Jun 2020 10:23 #223632 by yakuza
I thought for a while that a push button (VVT) transfer from an auto jimny would do it for my manual jimny, but I would need bigger than 31" tires to make it drivable at highway speed.
Prices of the corresponding parts to make a 4.16 SJ transfer fit my VVT jimny like the cradle, drive shafts, diffs and/or maybe transmission made it too expensive even when I had the 4.16 case lying around.
So for me the cheapest and best was to buy a gear set for my exsisting VVT push button transfer case to compensate for the 235's.
I like the push button and vacuum hubs as well..

So the 4.16 case will still go in my SJ and i do not have to make another one :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2020 10:23 by yakuza.

More
16 Jun 2020 11:21 #223633 by Busta
There are 2 aspects to fitting a lobster box or other modified transfer case. The first is to correct the high range for bigger tyres for road use. The second is to make the low range much lower for technical off-road use, e.g. a crawler box. You can do lots with standard parts to correct the overall ratio for bigger tyres, but there are very few options when it comes to making low range lower relative to high range.

More
16 Jun 2020 19:45 #223648 by 1390_taz
I have a 2006 jimny, and changed the transfer box to a manual one. Top speed if I'm lucky is 55/60 mph at 4000rpm running 215/75/15 tyres. What would be recommended to lower the rpm?

More
16 Jun 2020 20:23 #223649 by yakuza
Change it back? :)

Too much work otherwise in my opinion. Depends also on your tire size and whether there is other mods..

More
16 Jun 2020 21:04 #223651 by 1390_taz
Had a felling someone would say that. Tyre are 215/75/15 jimny has a 2"lift

More
17 Jun 2020 07:37 #223667 by Busta
It's a 30% difference. You'd need to fit 34" tyres to get back to standard ratios. Or fit the earlier type gearbox and you will be just 10% out front standard, which is a reasonable compromise on 215/75s. And you then have the more reliable gearbox.

More
17 Jun 2020 08:47 #223671 by yakuza
True Busta.
And there is room for larger tires later as well. I got the 17% reduction in the transfer box and with the 235's and 1.6 engine it is plenty low enough. Considering the extra noise from the gears I would change it back to original if I where to dive into the transfer box again. But then again I now have room for 30" or even 31" in the gears.
(Not in the fenders but that is an angle grinder job.)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds