BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Have my transfer box mounts deteriorated too much?

More
28 May 2020 12:20 - 28 May 2020 12:24 #222925 by HUN
There was always quite a lot of white stuff around the bushes of the transfer box mounts since I bought my Jimny (2015). Some of the plates which sandwich the rubber even looked deformed a bit. Today I took the box out to install a push fit breather and give some cosmetic TLC for the casing. I tought if I undo to top nut on the bushings I will have a good chance to slide the box foreward. Soaked them in WD40 but no joy...there was no issue regarding the bottom nuts though so I ended up taking them out in one step together with the box. Then I had to attack the top nuts with an impact gun in order to brake them free. Here is the result...

Seemingly a lot of white stuff remained on the top plates instead on the brackets. The car get really abused only in August annually. Repairing on the fly is not an option whilst it's out in the wild. Maybe time has come to get new bushings and brackets? If so any recommendation?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 May 2020 12:24 by HUN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 May 2020 14:19 #222930 by Lambert
The white stuff is the residue of galvanic corrosion between the aluminium frame and the steel bolt it isn't the end of the world but can be eliminated with an isolating compound. Look more at the state of the rubber if that is good and not perished or split you should be ok for a while yet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 May 2020 15:44 #222934 by HUN
What's the isolating compound? A chemical stuff or just a non conductive object like plastic sheet?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
28 May 2020 16:31 #222936 by Riccy
Its alloy rust! :laugh:

If you are only using it occasionally, but heavily, I would suggest this bracket is likely to fail on you at some point. They are known to snap fairly easily.

Jimnybits and various others produce aftermarket HD brackets for standard transfer boxes which are powder coated steel instead of the alloy and much stronger.

I prefer to run the factory genuine rubber bushes and carry a couple of spares rather than use the HD bolt-through option as that transfers a lot of noise into the car. Bigjimny shop sells the standard bushes ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 May 2020 17:11 #222937 by Lambert
The isolating stuff is a chemical goo. It's readily available on the internet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 May 2020 18:31 #222946 by HUN
So if I understand how it works then the alloy will rust first instead of steel like sacrificial metal on boats?
I certainly need to attach a magnesium piece to my transfer guard and constantly keep it submerged in water to protect against rust. The worst protection I can imagine is power coating on bare metal. 3 years old guard should not look like this. Fuel tank guard looked bad as well.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

More
29 May 2020 05:23 #222964 by Max Headroom
I've always assembled items using Waxoyl as a jointing compound (chemical goo :cheer: ) and it works very well.
From recent inspections on a 40 year old car that I put Waxoyl (the honey coloured stuff) on in its youth (and my youth) it doesn't appear to harm rubber either!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
29 May 2020 07:05 - 29 May 2020 16:28 #222971 by HUN
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYeah, Waxoyl is great. Especially on areas where there is no contact with anything except air/water.
I decided to fit new genuine suzuki bushes and ordered a set of these brackets to avoid rust creeping under flaking powder coating.

On top of this I will apply a generous coat of Hammerite on the brackets then put some Waxoyl on the bushes to isolate them.
If the factory components coul last for 15 years I guess the new ones will serve more than that with added protection.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 29 May 2020 16:28 by HUN.

More
29 May 2020 18:28 - 29 May 2020 18:33 #222999 by Paul4A
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI’m thinking of replacing the original 21 year old aluminium transfer brackets and mounting rubbers on our Jimny. One question I have is why aftermarket rubber bushes seem to be round and outwardly appear much smaller than Suzuki originals e.g.

These appear like chubby rubber washers. Can anyone kindly advise whether they’re actually a suitable replacement.

I’d been looking at this product

www.jimnybits.com/jimny-heavy-duty-transfer-box-mounts.html

Paul.

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Last edit: 29 May 2020 18:33 by Paul4A.

More
29 May 2020 22:25 - 29 May 2020 22:29 #223017 by HUN
There is no science behind it. Those are the components which can be easily sourced from China, cost near to nothing,.
Then the DIY entrepreneur put them together in their shed in order to foul people and charge them for an arm and a leg.
Many people reported increased noise as the trough bolt transfers the vibration into the cabin. Stick with the original design even aftermarket will do, no need to be genuine.
Regarding mounting brackets the cheapest is the genuine Suzuki alloy set. You can buy a new set for less than £70 delivered from ebay.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 29 May 2020 22:29 by HUN.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds