BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Petrol tank sucktion.

More
25 May 2020 11:24 #222805 by BGBrit
Petrol tank sucktion. was created by BGBrit
Hi,,, does anyone know why when I open my Jimny's petrol cap does it suck in large amounts of air? Is this normal?

Cheers
Tony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2020 12:52 #222806 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Petrol tank sucktion.
Good Q, I would like to know too, but keep forgetting to ask!
I cannot think how this can be normal?
Gaz

More
25 May 2020 13:28 #222809 by BGBrit
Replied by BGBrit on topic Petrol tank sucktion.
Someone here will know Gaz. I've not experienced this on other cars? I mean the sucktion (or do I mean the suction) ???? I thought perhaps it was because the tank or petrol line was leaking or evaporating, which could cause a vacuum within the tank, but I'm unsure and just guessing.
Tony.

More
25 May 2020 13:36 #222810 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Petrol tank sucktion.
Hi, Tony...long time, no speak, hope you're okay:)
I've had half a dozen Jimnys, and to be fair, they've all done this, without any issues...
....suppose it depends on what you mean by "large amounts"...
...when I open my cap, it literally a 'phtt', and it's gone, one second or less...
How does this compare with yours ???

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2020 14:03 #222811 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Petrol tank sucktion.
This vacuum nonsense is part of emission regulations, old fashioned tanks are vented and allow fumes into the outside world. More modern (relatively) systems let the fuel pump retain a negative pressure in the tank. At rest any expansion in gasses are allowed to escape to EVAP charcoal cannister. In the event of an accident (roll over) there is far less chance of fuel escaping.
Chris

More
25 May 2020 16:29 #222817 by BGBrit
Replied by BGBrit on topic Petrol tank sucktion.
Now then Gus,, How's the rum bottle, still half full, yes??? regarding the issue, it used to be a 'phtt' less than a second, but now it's more like a sharp intake of breath, 'a higher sound volume,' but, only a second or so. Chris has explained why, it's negative pressure due to petrol fumes not being allowed to escape through vent holes, like they did in the old days, and to be honest in the last few weeks I've noticed a whiff of petrol around the car, strong enough to be detected but not enough petrol to hang around for more than a moment or two. I wondered if the two were related.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds