BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brake Pipe Union Size

More
16 May 2020 13:17 - 16 May 2020 13:22 #222322 by Soeley
Brake Pipe Union Size was created by Soeley
So today I thought I would fit my extended brake pipes. I went for the Goodridge from JimnyBits as they were in stock and a 7 day wait straight from Goodridge.

Anyway, I started on the front (I know some say front extended pipes are not needed, I did double check with Martin). But decided to fit them anyway, as the pipes came as a set of 4 and ARB recommend fitting them as part of the OME kit. not sure why there is a difference in opinion?

So my problem was the top union, it would not screw into the new brake pipe! As soon as the thread engaged it was solid, compared to the original pipe you could get 2 to 3 easy turns by hand. I did try the other three pipes on the union, all with the same result. Could I have got a bad batch?

Does anyone know what size thread it is, as I am very tempted to just buy a new union and try it in the Goodridge pipes, and in the event they are replaced I will want to check them first. It's not ideal finding out when you have already attached the new pipe to the caliper with the banjo.

So for now I have refitted the original pipe and bled the caliper.

Last edit: 16 May 2020 13:22 by Soeley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2020 14:09 - 16 May 2020 14:10 #222326 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Brake Pipe Union Size
Soeley the most common Modern metric sizes of brake unions are M10 & M12.

I Think M10's are available in two thread pitch sizes M10 X1.0/1.25.

M12's are available in predominantly one size M12 X 1.0.

I think it's quite unlikely that the JIM features imperial brake fittings. But the most common imperial size is 3/8 24tpi (threads per inch)

3/8's and M10 brake fittings are the two most commonly mixed up. You'd end up 'locked' after one thread turn which does sound similar to the issue your having... Do you have a set of vernier callipers? Best shout is to measure the threaded male union to determine what type of fitting you require (metric/imperial). Are the Goodridge lines marked up with any sort of identification/specification? There's no real easy way to measure the new female union.. Unless you had some spare brake fittings to hand.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

This link is handy if you're trying to measure your thread size and pitch. www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/our-blog/bid/...tion-for-Brake-Lines
Last edit: 16 May 2020 14:10 by DAGZOOK. Reason: Link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
16 May 2020 14:20 #222328 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Brake Pipe Union Size
10mm x 1mm sounds about right then. I did measure the union with a micrometer. It came in at 0.389" and 26 tpi on my thread gauge. So 10x1 matches. It's not a normal standard thread then is it, as 10mm would normally be x1.5 for course and x1.25 for a fine thread.

More
16 May 2020 14:48 - 16 May 2020 14:50 #222329 by DAGZOOK
M10 x 1.0 is pretty common from my understanding. Readily available size when looking at standard off the shelf brake fittings.

So you're saying the Rigid pipe male union is M10 x1.0? and the Goodridge female union isn't a good match? Pretty disappointing result from such a large company.

www.demon-tweeks.com/automec-male-fittin...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Last edit: 16 May 2020 14:50 by DAGZOOK.

More
16 May 2020 14:53 #222330 by DAGZOOK
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLess than ideal, but as you've got the parts already - might be worth running a M10x1.0 tap down the female fittings. (If I've understood you correctly)

More
16 May 2020 15:13 #222334 by Soeley
I did think of that, I will have to see if I have a tap that size. But first I might try a new union just to make sure.

More
16 May 2020 16:44 #222340 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Brake Pipe Union Size
on the gen 3 male brake unions are fully threaded
I tried the same one in the demon tweaks link(it screwed in but bottomed out to soon and stripped the threads)

More
17 May 2020 09:06 #222373 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Brake Pipe Union Size
I had Goodridge hoses on mine when I bought it from KAP over a decade ago. The drivers side rubbed on the tyre where it was fitted poorly and burst on me. It's ok, I didn't crash or die. I hadn't worked on it at this point.

I bought a new set from one of the many sellers that get supplied by Llama 4x4 and the passenger side would not fit.

It seems that the Goodridge hoses have the wrong fitting on the driver's side front hose. They are also only long enough for + 2" shocks as I found them get too taught in the +3" shocks Martin supplied with my 3" lift kit years ago. He kindly helped me by swapping them to +2" shocks to get me out of a jam.

My only solution as someone adapted the pipe on my car's front driver side to fit the wrong fitting of the Goodridge hoses is to get the passenger side made up separately if I want to fit +3" shocks.

I suggest that you buy a set of the coloured extended brake lines, not made by Goodridge and put this down to experience.

I'd have thought Goodridge would have got this right by now though as it's many years since I found this out the hard way!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
17 May 2020 12:16 #222395 by Soeley
A little more confused now. I went to Halfords this morning and picked a pack of M10x1 Male Union

I know these are not the correct union to actually use due to the plain shank on the end, but as a tester they're fine.

Now these screwed into the Goodridge pipes beautifully, so that confirms the new hoses are indeed M10x1 female threads. So that leaves the question "What is the thread size of the male union on the Jimny?" Like I said earlier, I measured the O/D at 0.389", a 26TPI & 1.0 pitch thread gauge both seem to match up over the short length of thread available.

0.389" = 9.9mm
1/8"BSP would have a O/D of 0.383" & 28TPI - so that is out
3/8"UNF would have a O/D of 0.375" & 24TPI - so that is out

I think the only real option is for me to remove the standard pipe and re-check the male thread measurement. If I do I will try the other side to rule out a dodgy male thread.

More
17 May 2020 12:25 #222396 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Brake Pipe Union Size
These are the ones I have used across all my Jimnys over the years

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 May 2020 13:00 #222399 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Re:Brake Pipe Union Size
Let's say the Goodridge pipes are correct. And the Male union was somehow slightly damaged, why did it screw back into the old pipe easily?

I will try the other side and see how that goes. I will have to get some more copper washers for the banjo bolt at the caliper though, as I fitted that end first and used 2 of the supplied washers. When I had to refit the original pipe I used up the last two washers supplied :blink: :blink:

Are all copper washers equal or do they have to be specific crush washers?

More
17 May 2020 13:07 #222400 by jackonlyjack
This is one I removed from gen3
You can see it's fully threaded.
Also you can see how far it screw's in...clean threaded area

Don't be fooled by the man behind the counter telling you other types work.
You will strip the threads out the female end
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds