BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Assorted newbie questions

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2020 07:20 #222249 by RayC
Assorted newbie questions was created by RayC
Hi everyone

I’m plugging through my issues list! I have some maybe daft questions I have had a look in the wiki but some first hand advise would be appreciated

1 I have 215 75 15 tyres (15% ish bigger) in the wiki I find the car struggles to use 5th gear it’s happiest at 60 mph in 4th I would like to change we gearing and was hoping to use a rear diff to change final drive mine is the later 2005 manual with push button 4wd so 4.2 ish ratio am I right in thinking the early 3.99 diff will be worse if so can anyone recommend some way to make the car better geared

Next it wobbles through steering at 40 mph it goes through it and you can damp the wheel with your hands I’ve balanced the wheels (bfg mud terrains ) is this a sign of king pins being worn? It’s ok above 50 mph it appears to have a steering damper fitted

Also the steering wheel is down to the right does anyone know if it’s splined on the column so if I remove steering wheel I can straighten it up

Next is possibly daft it has a snorkel fitted I noticed a drain hole in the airfilter housing at the bottom- should I fill this with silicone or similar I’m a bit torn as water can come in there but likewise if it gets in it can’t get out so it’s a bit of advice on what others think

Appreciate your input

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2020 09:14 #222256 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Assorted newbie questions
If you changed the rear diff you'd have to swap the front diff too, otherwise you run the risk of drivetrain damage when using 4wd. But you are correct in saying 3.9 would make it more sluggish than your current 4.2. I think the automatic 05+ runs a slightly lower geared transfer box... Might be worth looking in to and would be an easy swap if is.

Wobbles at 40mph are main symptoms of 'death wobble'. Usually points to king pin bearings. Also worth checking things like panhard rod bushes, track rod ends etc.

The steering wheel is on a splined shaft and could be removed and rotated. Another way to tweek wheel position is to give the steering bar between steering box and hub a couple of turns, this will save you having to remove the airbag etc to pull the steering wheel off.

And yes, seal the hole up in the air box. A small bolt with sealant or a blob of silicone would be fine.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayC

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2020 09:51 #222258 by RayC
Replied by RayC on topic Assorted newbie questions
Thanks

I will have a look at the king pins it did pass it’s MOT with no issues 2 days ago and I did ask the guy to pay special attention to the king pins for the cost it’s probably worth doing anyway it doesn’t look like they have been disturbed looking at the bolts

More
15 May 2020 10:04 #222259 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Assorted newbie questions

ahtr wrote: Another way to tweek wheel position is to give the steering bar between steering box and hub a couple of turns.

This is the correct way

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2020 12:51 #222270 by RayC
Ok quick update

I can feel a little bit of play in the right front wheel when off the ground

I’ve ordered king pin bearings for both sides anyway

Only problem at the moment is the screw for the abs sensor is well stuck can I get away with not removing the sensor

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2020 19:35 #222285 by RayC
Does anyone know if the transfer box from Auto is a more suited ratio for larger tyres I can get one used for acceptable amount

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2020 06:02 #222297 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Assorted newbie questions
You will probably find that the steering wheel will sort itself with the new kingpin bearings.

The button transfer box is 1:1 manual and 1:3 automatic. With no other modification an automatic transfer box will correct the gearing on a manual to run 35 inch tyres or will make the absolute top speed of standard tyres about 70 mph at 6000 odd rpm. With you having 15pc taller than standard tyres it will make it fairly slow and and screaming at speed but it would accelerate quite quickly. To keep it something like standard you are going to have to look at the earlier none vvt none push button main gearbox and the automatic push button transfer which is a same ratio as the lever type manual transfer box. The issue is that swapping main gearboxes is not quite as simple as one out, one in as the shift mechanism has to be adapted if I recall correctly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayC

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2020 06:53 #222302 by RayC
Thank you for your help it’s greatly appreciated

I will buy the auto transfer box and see how it goes from there

Again I appreciate the help and support from the site I don’t know enough about these vehicles to confidently spend money on items without user’s knowledge which I’m sure was hard earned so again thank you to everyone who took the effort to reply

More
16 May 2020 08:03 #222305 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Assorted newbie questions
Read my "Death Wobble" thread of the subject in the Wiki.

Get the tracking done to straighten the steering wheel and possibly help resolve the wobble.

As said, get both diffs.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds