BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear Floor Panel Corroded

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2020 11:42 - 12 May 2020 11:51 #222161 by wilt
Rear Floor Panel Corroded was created by wilt
Hi,
Could anyone tell me if the Floor Plate under the rear seat could be classed as an MOT Fail due to the Seat Belt Anchor Points which are heavily rusted as my Jimny pssed its MOT after me buying it of a dealer who said its only superficial to the Main Chassis?
Thanks
Keith

File Attachment:

File Name: 2020-05-12...8.53.jpg
File Size:0 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 2020-05-12...8.53.jpg
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 May 2020 11:51 by wilt. Reason: To add pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2020 16:49 #222172 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rear Floor Panel Corroded
Hi Keith,

No pictures at the moment, but I would expect corrosion near a seatbelt mount to be a fail. But I am not an MOT tester so it's not my call. Fault categories I believe are as follows:-
Defect - Category
a. A seat belt:
i. load bearing structure strength or continuity significantly reduced within 30cm of an anchorage point (see Appendix ‘A’)
Major
ii. anchorage likely to become detached in the event of a collision
Dangerous
b. Seat belt anchorage loose
Major

The government web site has guidance on what to do if you think the MOT is a bit iffy.

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result

My 2CV failed on rear belt mounts for not that much (in my opinion) corrosion, but as it's a safety thing I did not mind getting it fixed.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2020 17:18 #222174 by wilt
Replied by wilt on topic Rear Floor Panel Corroded
Hi Scimike
Thanks for the very informative reply it pretty much covers all bases my intentions is to cut out the whole Floor section & weld a new Plate in just wondering if its welded from underneath & not on top?
Keith

More
12 May 2020 17:44 #222175 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rear Floor Panel Corroded
Not had need to replace a floor, but as to welded above or below I don't think it matters, the weld strength will be the same anyway you do it. I guess weld the side that gives you the best access, both will be out of view when finished.
Sure someone who has replaced a floor will be along soon with some tips.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
12 May 2020 18:18 #222177 by Jimny Dr
Replied by Jimny Dr on topic Rear Floor Panel Corroded
Hi wilt
If there is corrosion within 30 cm of a seat belt mounting point the technically it’s a fail but the new mot rules say that unless it’s visual the tester cannot start to take out carpets, covers etc out, so that may be the reason it’s passed.
I did a full boot floor replace which was quite easy to and did it from inside the boot.
They do a full replacement floor now, but whilst doing mine I made it a van with no rear seats as there is little room for 4 passengers anyway
Hope this helps
the doc
The following user(s) said Thank You: wilt

More
12 May 2020 18:19 #222178 by jackonlyjack
Across the boot side to side there's a channel underneath where the belts and seats bolt.
This is spot welded around every 6" in two row's ie either side of bolt holes.
If you look closely at boot floor you maybe able to see the spot welds

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2020 18:17 #222229 by wilt
Hi Jimny Dr,
After receiving my After Market Floor Plate I was a bit disappointed to find that there was no Seat Fastener Threads also no Seat Belt Anchor Point Threads as I want to refit the Rear Seat so now I am having to buy an OEM Plate which I hope will have these & just drop into place & welded do you have any pics of when you did your conversion & is it acceptable to the MOT tester?
Regards
Keith

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2020 18:22 #222230 by wilt
Hi JoJ
What you say is very informative as I think that channel is a strengthening point so do put a cutting Disc through it where it spans from wheel arch to wheel arch or do I drill out the spot welds & lift the plate of the channel?
Regard
Keith

More
14 May 2020 18:27 #222231 by jackonlyjack

wilt wrote: Hi JoJ
What you say is very informative as I think that channel is a strengthening point so do put a cutting Disc through it where it spans from wheel arch to wheel arch or do I drill out the spot welds & lift the plate of the channel?
Regard
Keith

If you're going to be having rear seats I would say drill the welds out.
Give the cross support a clean and paint in place.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds