BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spark plugs

• seisobs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2020 17:33 #222137 by seisobs
Spark plugs was created by seisobs
Please excuse my ignorance as I am not mechanically minded.
Can you please tell me what size of socket is needed to remove a spark plug on my 67 plate Jimny.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2020 17:58 - 11 May 2020 18:05 #222140 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spark plugs
My plug socket is marked 10mm, from auto store Halfords UK.

Not to be confused with a 10 socket which is for M6 fittings and much smaller.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 May 2020 18:05 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla, seisobs

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2020 19:10 #222145 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Spark plugs
You want a Sealey AK6552 socket. 16mm across the flats (generally referred to as a 10mm plug socket. 250mm long and 3/8 drive with knurled end for finger tight installation it's the one to have for the Jimny. Chris.
Attachments:

• seisobs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2020 10:09 #222157 by seisobs
Replied by seisobs on topic Spark plugs
Thanks for that Chris.
Jake

More
16 May 2020 08:41 #222310 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Spark plugs
How far down into the head are the spark plugs on a Jimjam, it's a long time since I removed mine!

If they're further down than you can reach with your pinkies, a spark plug socket with a rubber insert to grip the plug to pull it out and then lower it into the thread straight to prevent cross threading is really useful.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 May 2020 10:17 #222316 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Spark plugs
My plug socket is like the sealey one posted
but has a strong magnetic ring to hold the spark plug

More
16 May 2020 12:01 #222321 by Scimike
I think they are 4 to 5 inches down in the head (approximately), you certainly can't get at them with your fingers.
If it's a spark plug specific tool or socket they should come with some form of rubber or magnetic grip for the spark plug, so it's usually not an issue.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
17 May 2020 08:41 #222371 by kirkynut

Scimike wrote: I think they are 4 to 5 inches down in the head (approximately), you certainly can't get at them with your fingers.
If it's a spark plug specific tool or socket they should come with some form of rubber or magnetic grip for the spark plug, so it's usually not an issue.

I've got a few from over the years. Some do, some don't. The description of the Sealey one on their website doesn't say about a rubber insert, or it being magnetic.

You can buy a specific spark plug socket with them on to go on an extension but it needs to be an extension that locks on onto the socket or you end up pulling the extension out, leaving the socket on the spark plug when you've tightened it up and no way to get it out! Been there, got the T shirts!

That's where these long tools work but if they don't grip the spark plug you end up un-screwing the plug and being left with it down the hole and not being able to get hold of it unless you can reach it with long nose pliers. Then you have to drop it in the hole without bashing the tip out of gap and not cross threading it.

So the ultimate tool is a socket on an extension that lock together with a rubber insert in the socket to grip the plug, or a tool like the Sealey one if it has the rubber insert or is magnetic.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
17 May 2020 09:07 #222374 by Scimike
I have seen cheap tube plug spanners and some T bar without a grip system, but all of my sockets have use a rubber grip system and lock onto the extension.But you are correct, it is worth checking the one you purchase grips the plug.
A negative with the rubber gripper is if the socket gets oil covered it can cause the gripper to remain on the plug, usually once removed and subsequent thrown into the bin with the old plug !
But like everything it's not a bad job to do once you have the correct tool.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2020 09:10 #222375 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Spark plugs
Sealey AK6552 has rubber insert. Chris

More
17 May 2020 09:27 #222376 by kirkynut

CC Baxter wrote: Sealey AK6552 has rubber insert. Chris

Boom! That makes it ideal!

Kirkynut

More
17 May 2020 09:29 #222377 by kirkynut

Scimike wrote: I have seen cheap tube plug spanners and some T bar without a grip system, but all of my sockets have use a rubber grip system and lock onto the extension.But you are correct, it is worth checking the one you purchase grips the plug.
A negative with the rubber gripper is if the socket gets oil covered it can cause the gripper to remain on the plug, usually once removed and subsequent thrown into the bin with the old plug !
But like everything it's not a bad job to do once you have the correct tool.

If the rubber grip gets covered in oil and comes out, clean it with brake cleaner and push it back in place with a suitably sized socket.

Kirkynut

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds