BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 Suspension upgrade?

• Jasongds
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2020 21:50 #220382 by Jasongds
Gen 4 Suspension upgrade? was created by Jasongds
After previous Jimny the new Gen4 is much better ride, generally ok, can't work out why it is so much better except possibly the wider track helps?
This Jimny has to go down a rough track every day, was wondering if anyone has tried the Arb Old Man Emu kit or Trailmaster on a Gen 4?
Both of them seem to allow for carrying a bigger payload but 99% of the time car will be unloaded. Was just wanting an improvement when it hits bumps etc, but don't want to loose the amazing traction on the back helped by the soft springs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2020 22:06 #220386 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen 4 Suspension upgrade?
Most of the undesirable ride characteristics of the Jimny come from the live axles and high unsprung mass and unfortunately there is little you can do to improve this.
Some people report a smoother ride after spending their own money on a suspension lift. I'm sceptical, mainly because every lift kit manufacturer quotes higher spring rates to cope with "heavy off-road accessories". Higher spring rates + higher centre of gravity = poor ride.
Working on the principle that you don't want or need a lift, and the standard spring rate is a good compromise between body roll and comfort, I'd be looking at some better shock absorbers. Bilstein, Koni, Avo etc. Adjustable if you like to tinker, non adjustable if you trust an engineers judgement better than your own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

• Jasongds
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2020 22:17 #220387 by Jasongds
Replied by Jasongds on topic Gen 4 Suspension upgrade?
No real need for suspension lift, I do have a set of konis from my previous old 2017 Jimny, when first fitted on previous Jimny thought it was a revelation but six months later you get used to it, might try them but was wanting confirmation they are the same, which Martin has confirmed that gen 3 are the same physical size , new konis for Gen 4 currently offering extra travel?

More
29 Mar 2020 14:19 #220425 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen 4 Suspension upgrade?
Watch this vid.

Should help to give an idea how the aftermarket suspension rides the bumps differently.

More
29 Mar 2020 14:45 #220427 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Gen 4 Suspension upgrade?

Busta wrote: Working on the principle that you don't want or need a lift, and the standard spring rate is a good compromise between body roll and comfort, I'd be looking at some better shock absorbers. Bilstein, Koni, Avo etc. Adjustable if you like to tinker, non adjustable if you trust an engineers judgement better than your own.

I totally agree with Busta. I too have been looking at the OME and Trail Master kits, but when I think rationally about what I want out of my setup both seem inappropriate. Both kits offer a relatively small lift - so straight away one can argue, if lift is your primary goal here for what you'll gain it's not worth it. The OME will offer you 40mm in lift, the Trail Master will offer you 50mm (kinda on the driveway only). Don't get me wrong, both setups offer shockers that are far superior in quality and durability compared to the factory setup, but as Busta has said - the spring rates will be uprated to cater for additional weight & height.

The trail master kit confuses me - because of the Gen. 4's quirks (front crossmember & limited hose length) They've produced front shocks that are only 25mm longer than the factory - thus meaning you're only really gaining 1inch greater articulation - the only thing you're actually gaining is a visual enhancement. It's the same story with the rear setup - They supply additional bump stops to limit upwards travel.

In summary the logic I'm using is, am I ever going to take on adventures that result in me maxing the Jimny's load capacity out? (e.g some sort of long term overland expedition) No I'm not. So the increased load capacity (which is the only real advantage to these kits In my opinion) is not required.

But what I would like to do is improve the factory 'skittish' bouncy ride over wash board surfaces and rocks, which would improve grip and control. So it would make total sense to invest in some uprated off road shock absorbers (Bilstein B6's or some other equivalent) which would enhance the Gen.4 without requiring any supporting modifications (caster correction, extended brake hoses etc).

I'm not saying you've gotta listen to my logic - that's just how I see it. I don't want to sacrifice daily drivability all for the sake of 25-40mm greater articulation.. Your money dude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Jasongds
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2020 19:52 #220444 by Jasongds
Replied by Jasongds on topic Gen 4 Suspension upgrade?
Was trying to compare shock absorber part numbers from bilstein, Sachs etc to check they are interchangeable from previous generation. Will try my konis and see how they feel , but didn't want the faff of removing of the new ones only to find others don't fit!
No need to carry extra payload, 35 inch tyres etc!

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds