BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2012 Jimny Starting Problem

• gavgreen10
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2020 10:15 #220247 by gavgreen10
2012 Jimny Starting Problem was created by gavgreen10
Hi,

Parked my Jimny up in my local forest the other day and returned to it after a couple of hours only for it to be completely dead. Battery appeared fine as everything else electrical worked - elec windows, dash lights, etc. A mate of mine came out and we tried jump starting it anyhow which didn't work. AA guy came out and we bump started it after he confirmed the battery was reading fine. He said he had seen it before but didn't know what the cause or outcome was as he just got the guy home.

After he started it, I dropped it off at a local garage. I started / stopped the car several times, open / closed the doors, etc and it fired up perfectly every time with no repeat of the problem.

People have suggested an immobiliser but, after consulting the manual, it says the padlock light flashes if there is an issue and mine was solid (see photo). People have also suggested a key fault, faulty ignition barrel and, most likely perhaps, the starter motor - corroded / loose wires, etc. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem and had any other suggestions? Any help or advice is appreciated. My Jimny is a 2012 JSA M13A. Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Gavin.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2020 15:34 #220252 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic 2012 Jimny Starting Problem
Hello,

If it would be the immobilizer the also (or especially) a bump start would not work.

When you tried starting, did you hear the „click“ of the starter solenoid?

If not, then probably this solenoid is starting to die. The usual temporary quick fix is to give the solenoid and the starter s slight tap with a hammer.

This only works for a limited time, so it would be advisable to repair/replace the starter.

• gavgreen10
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2020 16:54 #220255 by gavgreen10
Replied by gavgreen10 on topic 2012 Jimny Starting Problem
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did hear the click yes when I tried starting it. The garage inspected it today and apparently the exciter wire was corroded / dirty so they have cleaned it up. Hopefully that should do the trick and it isn't anything electronic. I take your point about the immobiliser - that's what the garage said also - so pleased it isn't that by the looks of it.

Fingers crossed it doesn't re-occur.

Thanks again.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
25 Mar 2020 17:17 #220257 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic 2012 Jimny Starting Problem
Hi Gav,

I believe we have talked about this on facebook. Glad you got it sorted. The little wire on the starter motor is a common source of annoyance in wet weather or mudplugging.

Its worth getting used to where that it is to give it a wiggle if you have the problem again

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• gavgreen10
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2020 10:04 #220309 by gavgreen10
Replied by gavgreen10 on topic 2012 Jimny Starting Problem
Hi Riccy,

Yes thanks for your help on facebook and on here. Having the wire cleaned up seems to have done the trick. Came back from the garage OK and went out yesterday in the Jim for some essential supplies with no issues. Due to the gov lockdown now, looks like it won't be moving for a while but I'll turn it over on the drive to check all is well. Thanks again.

Good health and best wishes,

Gavin.

More
11 Apr 2020 02:03 - 11 Apr 2020 02:18 #220913 by Rabid Rhino
Just swapped over the dials in my 1999 Jimny soft top from kph to mph.
Turned the key and got the lock light, which I've not seen before. Car starts OK.
I have another instrument pod so may try that.
Are these things coded to specific cars or ECUs ?
Is it a code you can just clear for it never to come back again ?
Read that.... Security and/or Immobilizer Warning Light Symbols, indicate that the ignition switch is locked and will need the proper transponder-equipped key to start or re-start.
I only have 1 key. How do I get a spare.... I'll search here.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 02:18 by Rabid Rhino.

More
11 Apr 2020 06:27 #220916 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic 2012 Jimny Starting Problem
The instrument cluster is not coded to the ECU, and the miles/km count is stored in the cluster electronics.
The immobilizer is coded to the ecu, and the key chip inside the fob as well.
A spare key (immo chip) must be coded thru the immo unit to the ECU. this can be done by some locksmiths in the UK I've read and also your Suzuki dealership can do it.
I tried bying stuff from ebay to do this myself but no luck.. Wich is ok as car-theft is not my line of work anyways.
I can reprogram the correct chip to my car as I need from time to time from fiddling with the wiring, but I cannot make a new chip.
There is a different code of chips pre 2005 and after but i guess that is your dealers problem :)

The cluster electronics is supposed to show you the immo-light the one with the pad lock every time you start the car.
ignition on and the light will shine constantly if every thing is ok, and flash when there is a faulty read or something.
Car will not start if it is flashing.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
11 Apr 2020 07:52 - 11 Apr 2020 08:11 #220919 by Rabid Rhino
Phew !!!
Thanks for that. Really helpful.
It definitely didn't show before on the old instrument pod.... Probably a blown bulb.
I'd like a spare key but there are no more Suzuki dealerships in my country.
Looks like I'll be searching for a blank key on eBay and hopefully a good local auto electrician.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 08:11 by Rabid Rhino.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds