BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Mislaid My Fuel Pump relay

• gc1066
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2020 19:23 #220157 by gc1066
Mislaid My Fuel Pump relay was created by gc1066
Rather embarrassingly as part of my rebuild I carefully removed my fuel pump relay and put it in a safe place....unfortunately I now cannot remember where that is!!

Just looking to get a replacement at sensible money which for some reason I seem unable to do.

Can someone tell me if I can use a generic 4 pin relay like this please:
Relay on eBay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2020 20:05 - 22 Mar 2020 20:31 #220159 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Mislaid My Fuel Pump relay
I doubt the standard 40a relay you have shown is what you want.
Fuel pump relays normally require a pulse signal to indicate the engine is running, when the pulse is removed they cut out and stop the fuel pump. It's a crash safety system to stop fuel being pumped to an engine that is not running. That's why they are expensive for what they are.

Not 100% sure it applies to the Jimny and just going off "fuel pump relay" description for my comment.

Unfortunately I don't have any electrical drawings to hand in order to take a look. If no one confirms before I get to them I'll take a look for you. Just in case it makes any difference what year is your Jimny?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 20:31 by Scimike.

More
22 Mar 2020 21:36 #220162 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Mislaid My Fuel Pump relay
Just had a look, not sure now. The ECU provides an earth for the relay coil, so it may not be a "clever" fuel pump relay as I previously described. My only concern is that as it's driven directly from the ECU, if the coil load of the generic relay is too high it could damage the ECU.
So I am still going to play it safe and say get the correct relay, don't use the generic one.
People are breaking Jimnys on here, so can't see it being difficult to get a secondhand one.

Sorry I can't help you further, someone may have a better idea and sure they will be along shortly.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• gc1066
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2020 09:14 #220181 by gc1066
Replied by gc1066 on topic Mislaid My Fuel Pump relay
OK, thanks for the input. Given that I'm isolating courtesy of this virus malarkey I shall take this opportunity to tidy the garage and see if I can locate my (apparently very) safe storage location.

Failing that I will invest some dosh.

Cheers

Graham

More
24 Mar 2020 14:11 #220213 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Mislaid My Fuel Pump relay
I probably have a standard Jimny fuel pump relay in my garage

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds