BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:G13BB Engine runs rough intermittent

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2020 08:25 #220058 by Owl
Hi All, Have been experiencing the engine periodically running rough , feels like its cutting out intermittent but doesnt stall, Then goes away. happens periodically. No check engine light on. Then runs smoothly again.

Happens when the engine is at operating temp, on the hotter side, today i noticed it after going up a hill, the engine felt like it was cutting out then coming back on , then it would run fine for the run home.

Anyone experienced this before, and what could it be? Could it be a bit water in fuel? Coil packs? Just dont know where to start with this one.

Thanks Owl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2020 09:05 #220062 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic G13BB Engine runs rough intermittent
Thinking cam angle sensor as it has that surging feeling, feels like engine surges forward then stops surging, bit of a stutter, that's probably a more accurate way to describe it. just had head gasket replaced on this one.

• barnsley john
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2020 18:48 #220073 by barnsley john
Replied by barnsley john on topic G13BB Engine runs rough intermittent
Is it crap petrol you have in
Try and fill tank up with high octane fuel just a idea

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2020 05:03 #220077 by Owl
BJ I only use 98 octane, but we have had a month of rains across the eastern states makes a change to fires. Might be a bit water in fuel, but I feel its losing power noticeably up hills, its different to what it was.

Also I think it runs too hot, and it seems the surge and the cutting out symptoms appear on the hot side, ie, after going up a hill.

Is that fan on the front of car supposed to come on and off during driving? I never hear it come on. I put 12v across terminals months ago to see if it works and the fan does work. Seems to work if air-cond is put on? Might have a dickie water temp sensor? Looks like its another trial and error scenario.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Mar 2020 05:09 #220079 by Lambert
It might be the catalytic converter in its way out causing a blockage, possibly?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2020 05:24 #220080 by Owl
Yes, didnt think of that, consistent with the symptoms and engine running hot. Ill get it checked out ASAP. Thanks Lambert.

More
20 Mar 2020 06:59 #220081 by mlines
Take some water with you. When it does it, pour the water on the cam sensor. If it cures it then you have found the problem

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2020 06:31 #220122 by Owl
Thinking cam angle sensor as it has that surging feeling, feels like engine surges forward then stops surging, bit of a stutter, that's probably a more accurate way to describe it. just had head gasket replaced on this one.

Thanks Martin, problem at moment is it comes and goes and each episode is for no longer than 5 secs. Warming up period is usually fine. Then it might go ok but the performance is lacklustre on acceleration , it does accelerate but I think its slower than usual. I will put a bottle of water beside me and try it next time it has a engine wobbler. Thanks for the tip Martin.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2020 06:34 #220123 by Owl
Having the Cat converter assessed Tues next week, he said if it is bad, he can fit a 'high flow' cat , price was reasonable.

More
21 Mar 2020 07:40 #220124 by mlines
If it only lasts 5 seconds then I would not think it's the cat blocked. With a blockage of the cat it tends to last as long as "more power" is needed ie. Up an incline.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
21 Mar 2020 07:42 #220125 by mlines
It sounds electrical, sensors, coil packs or leads?

Martin

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2020 12:11 #220133 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Re:G13BB Engine runs rough intermittent
Thanks Martin, will keep at it , given the nature of it , might take a while find it. Not getting a check engine light so cant draw any info from a code which would be handy.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds