BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing radiator

• L333BOA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2020 09:38 #219810 by L333BOA
Replacing radiator was created by L333BOA
Hey guys I’m having to replace my radiator on the jim as it’s leaking badly, I’ve got the new rad sat here just need to buy the right coolant, what’s recommended and how many litres will I need? also I’m having to do this job on the front street and have no access to a hose pipe so how do I go about flushing the system ? Any hints tips or help much appreciated. My Jim is a 2006 model if that helps thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2020 23:38 - 14 Mar 2020 00:03 #219848 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Replacing radiator
Hello!

Mine is a 2006 M13A engined vehicle too, so hopefully this is of interest

This is a job I've recently done.
Firstly DISREGARD the coolant colours - some seem to think that the colour relates to the type of coolant. IT DOES NOT! The colour of the coolant is completely irrelevant to the type of coolant!

You MUST use SILICATE FREE and preferrably phosphated but this isn't so critical (at Halfords this happens to be the pink one) .
There are arguments for and against which water to use - De-ionised or Distilled - yes there is a difference!
I have a water softener and elected to use softened water, but if you are in doubt just buy a pre-mixed version - again available from Halfords as either a concentrate or a pre-mixed. If using concentrate its a 50/50 mix.

There is loads of info HERE

Flushing - If you connect the garden hose be VERY careful you don't overpressurize the system - you need flow, not pressure!
I back-flushed the heater matrix, and because I couldn't get the hoses off the matrix itself I had to disconnect them at the engine end of the same rubber pipes - access isn't very easy.
Fortunately as I said already - I'm on a water softener so was able to flush it with softened water.

I'm certain the total cooling system (including the reservoir tank) is 4.5 litres

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 00:03 by Max Headroom.

• L333BOA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2020 01:15 #219876 by L333BOA
Replied by L333BOA on topic Replacing radiator
Thanks, all sorted and job went a little too well, fitted gets up to temp as it should heaters still blow hot n cold and no leaks, bet tomorrow’s job of sorting my rear brakes out on the ST is a nightmare tho lol

More
15 Mar 2020 13:48 #219889 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Replacing radiator
Just have a periodic re-check of the reservoir bottle from time to time, and a look on the ground under the car (on dry days!) for any tell0atale signs of leaks.

As for the brakes - there's not much to find it seems, but THIS is pretty much self-explanatory

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds