BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

I don't know where to start? But I know where I want to finish..

• Philosophical
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2020 11:45 #219282 by Philosophical
I don't know where to start? was created by Philosophical
Hello

I am planning to purchase my first Jimny in the next few weeks, I currently have my eye on a private sale of a Gen 3 2012 model which I'm getting very excited about. I have a bit of land which I can go play on, the land has a slight incline and gets very muddy in the winter months. I don't plan to drive it through a sheep dip but also, I don't want to get stuck either. I don’t know where to start. I like the idea of a 2” lift which I will need to do before selecting wheels and tyres. I am struggling to work out what tyres size to get after the 2” lift. Apart from a lift and tyres is there any other upgrades I should be considering for a beginner in the mud?
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2020 13:01 - 02 Mar 2020 13:03 #219284 by Max Headroom
A BIGJimny welcome from the Cotswold Hills

I'm sure someone will be along soon with far more experience in the offroading department, but do bear in mind that a standard Jimny, fitted with the right tyres is a very very capable machine in its own right.
It does sound as if you aren't going to be doing anything too extreme, so why not first consider how much travelling you are going to be doing on blacktop v mud; based on that, tthe right tyres should I imagine, be your first priority for consideration. After that things start getting pricey, and snowball

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 02 Mar 2020 13:03 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philosophical

More
02 Mar 2020 13:39 - 02 Mar 2020 13:42 #219287 by Scimike
Hi PhiI,
I agree with Max, tyres are your first consideration as the standard Jimny is very good.
The thing with any modification is it just extends how far you go BEFORE you get stuck, and your are usually more stuck than normal as a result.
The only sure way is to assume you will get stuck and figure out what you will need to undo the situation. Can you get a pull out? if so you need nothing else. No one for miles? - You need a winch of some sort.
So yes tyres, MT if you can, but a body lift is not going to stop it sinking to the axles, so maybe larger tyres first?
Have fun whatever you decide.
Mike

P.S - Try and get a go in a controlled environment first with help on hand, a local club or off road centre. You will get a good idea of what the Jimny can do. Alternatively come also to the Big Jimny meet and enjoy the mud and take a look at modified vehicles.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Mar 2020 13:42 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2020 13:42 #219288 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. A decent set of mud tyres is all you need. On the gen3 the most availability is going to be in a 195.80r15, this will give you a bit more air under the diff without crippling the gear ratios and there are a few interesting patterns in that size. It doesn't really need anything else doing to it and will happily humiliate land rovers because of the lack of weight.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Philosophical
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2020 14:59 #219291 by Philosophical
Replied by Philosophical on topic I don't know where to start?
Thank you all for the replies. I think I'll take the advise of just starting with good off road tyres for a while and hold off any other upgrade/s, well.... just until I get to know the Jimny better. That's a good point Scimike and very wise! I can see how being able to go further will ultimately mean when you get stuck it is worse than normal. The more you all talk about how capable the Jimny is the more I know I'm doing the right thing. Lambert, will the 195.80r15 fit straight on the stock wheels? Even if they do, I want to get some black wheels, I have a thing for black wheel lol... Any recommendations for wheel sizes? I am undecided (unless its recommended) if I will pack out the wheels with a spacers to make them stick out a bit more.

Awesome first experience using the forum :)

Phil

More
02 Mar 2020 15:46 #219292 by jackonlyjack
Hi and welcome
If you're set on making it look wider with spacers or -30 off set wheels
Even the narrow 195/80's will rub without a lift
I have 2" suspension lift 1" body lift no bumpers with 225/75/16 29.5"
I cannot fit spacers without these rubbing

So my advice would be get the 195/80/15 on your standard wheels
Get 6 cans of black spray paint for your wheels
Later fit the 2" lift kit then 32mm spacers and use the wheels/tyres you already own
195's with spacers suit the 2" lift ;)

More
04 Mar 2020 07:57 #219355 by kirkynut
For wheels to look a bit wider without causing clearance issues and still satisfying your black wheel fetish, have a look at these in the 15mm offset option:

www.jimnybits.com/jimny/wheels-wheel-spa...lar-steel-wheel.html

Ground clearance is the issue on the Jimjam. To gain ground clearance you need bigger tyres and to fit bigger tyres you might need a lift and to turn bigger tyres over 215.75.15 you will need gear reduction.

Ground clearance often only becomes an issue when you are in ruts. On virgin ground a standard Jimny is quite capable as had been said.

195.80.15 is taller than standard tyre size but smaller than 215.75.15, so could be the answer you need. They fit a standard Jimny if a new tyre is fitted, not a remould.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Philosophical
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2020 12:07 #219590 by Philosophical
Okey Dokey..

I brought the Jimny I had my eye on, a Gen3 2014 automatic. My plan is to buy and fit the 2" lift kit from the BigJimny shop, then fit new tyres and wheels straight after. If I fit tyres bigger than 215.75.15 I will need a gear reduction which I wasn't expecting. Would I get away without a gear reduction if I get the 215.75.15?

Phil

More
08 Mar 2020 12:58 #219593 by jackonlyjack
215/75/15 fit and fine without gearing issues
Other lift kits are available although trial master is considered the best

• Philosophical
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2020 11:04 #219677 by Philosophical
Hi jackonlyjack

Just to be clear, will the 215/75/15 fit and not rub the arches without a 2" lift?

Or, a 2" lift will be required so they do fit without rubbing the arches?

Phil

More
10 Mar 2020 12:27 #219678 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic I don't know where to start?
When I bought my 05' car, the suspension was very very tired. Shocks and springs were original at 75k and looked it, sat low for a Jimny.

I fitted BFG KO2's 215/75x15 on standard jlx alloys with no spacers. There were no issues at all, no rubbing at all.

I fitted 30mm spacers and then had a very minor catch at full lock. Fitted new springs at standard height and no more catching.

No lift is needed for 215's but if you fit spacers, you may have issue if your suspension is knackered.

sniper

More
10 Mar 2020 12:57 #219680 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper, Philosophical

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds