BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

215 75 15 tyres car feels sluggish

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2020 14:18 #218702 by RayC
Hello all

I've bought a prevoisly modified Jimny and having never driven one I don't know whats normal to them!

it feels sluggish and lacking power and struggles to maintain speed in 5th gear, I feel I have to rev it quite hard too, its fitted with 215 75 15 tyres which looking on the tyre wiki bit is nearly 6% bigger than standard, does anyone have any experience is this normal/ ok or should I look a bit deeper, I plan a service on the car new plugs etc but it feels a bit more integral than a general lack of power

thanks

ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 14:48 #218704 by sniper
I noticed more drag from 215's when I changed, they are wider which causes more rolling resistance. Definitely slower than 205's in acceleration but that is what you would expect. Certain tyres are worse than others, I think my AT's only get a "G" rating for fuel consumption.

My car is still quite nippy though....

Have a look to see if your front brake callipers are moving nice and free. Jack each wheel up and spin it, have a listen, you can usually hear the drag from a warped disk or sticking calliper.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayC

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2020 16:28 - 18 Feb 2020 16:29 #218706 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic 215 75 15 tyres car feels sluggish
List of mods would help, a blocked cat can cause a lack of of power if it's slowly getting even more blocked
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 16:29 by Daniel30.

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2020 16:59 #218707 by RayC
Replied by RayC on topic 215 75 15 tyres car feels sluggish
will have a check, I didn't notice a caliper or disc getting hot etc, the engine seems to rev free but will look at the Cat incase the exhaust is knocked flat somewhere, I've just ordered lots of bits of the forum shop to do a service

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2020 17:02 #218708 by RayC
I don't know much about the car I bought it blind and pre modded, its got a snorkel, 2" suspension lift, Manual front hubs, a split charge and second battery, winch and big 215 75 15 BG mud terrain tyres on steel rims, it goes but feels wrongly geared to me hence the questions I feel like im thrashing it to get it going

More
18 Feb 2020 17:10 #218710 by jackonlyjack
If you mean BFG km2's these tyres are heavy
So what you're finding is more than likely normal
I have 225/75/16 km2's on steel rims weighing 30kg per corner

More
18 Feb 2020 20:41 #218727 by Busta
If you've never driven a standard Jimny it may be difficult to appreciate how sluggish they can feel but having to change down a gear or two on hills is quite normal! Work the engine a bit harder and the performance is adequate. Remember peak power is at around 6,000rpm, and you may need to use all of that power to get up a hill at 70mph!
I have the same tyres in the same size on mine. There is a noticeable difference in performance between them and the standard tyres which is to be expected. Not only is the gearing stretched by 6%, but so is the speedometer so you have to drive 6% faster to reach the same indicated speed. These 2 factors also contribute to an apparent poor fuel economy (expect it to work out to between 25-30mpg), when in actual fact it doesn't change too much.
So yeah, sounds about right to me.

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2020 07:51 #218756 by RayC
thanks for the feedback, I will service it with the mound of bits I've ordered from the forum shop and then rev it a bit more!

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds