BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Castor Correction Bushings

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 13:34 - 28 Jan 2020 14:07 #217771 by Jim Jim
Castor Correction Bushings was created by Jim Jim
Hi Mates,

Hope all is well. Have not been here in a while, been busy with work and life's demands. I have done a 2" body and 2"suspension lift. Bought 8 inch alloy rims and just had 235 75 15 AT tires mounted on my 98 Jimny.

The castor is now negative compared to the stock castor due to the lift, so I would like to install correction bushings to put the geometry in place and secondly, to clear a slight tire rub on the rear on the fenders when doing outside steering locks.

Would like to know which castor correction bushings to get and from whom. The poly stuff seems to degrade here faster, not sure if its due to the extreme heat here in the tropics.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jan 2020 14:07 by Jim Jim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 14:09 #217774 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Castor Correction Bushings
I know many have trimmed the fenders and bumpers but I prefer to change the castor first before cutting, just repainted the entire Jimny.

More
28 Jan 2020 15:54 - 28 Jan 2020 15:55 #217775 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Castor Correction Bushings
I cannot see what caster angle correction has to do with tire clearance.
Caster correction makes your car handle like it did before you altered the height. Does not move the axle, just tilts it back a couple of degrees in the same spot more or less centered in the wheel.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2020 15:55 by yakuza.

More
28 Jan 2020 20:18 #217787 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Castor Correction Bushings
Unless you fit them like I did! :lol:

I used the last SuperPro polyurethane bush kit I had in stock (I used to own & run Bits4Vits) not realising it was a castor correction kit and my buggy build has a 1.75" suspension lift so shouldn't need castor correction... so I set both offset bushings facing forward to give a little more clearance from the engine firewall ;)

Dave

More
28 Jan 2020 20:34 #217788 by yakuza
aha, now i see.. still only 1cm or so, but then again, clearance is clearance :)

Actually if you tilt it like it was intended you will actually loose some clearance behind the wheels as the pivot point will be between the bushings 5-10cm,-ish lower than the center of the wheel.. still would only account for a very minor change.. I could calculate this from my sketches when i did this, but not sure I will bother :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
29 Jan 2020 10:57 #217801 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Castor Correction Bushings
Unfortunately I think some trimming is your only option if you still have rubbing after castor correction.

I know what you are saying about degradation in the heat but poly bushes are so easy to change.

Surely degradation is higher for rubber bonded bushes in extreme heat too?

Super Pro are good brand and easy to get hold of.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
29 Jan 2020 11:19 #217802 by yakuza
My experience with poly bushes is from the SJ and blade spring bushes only, but I do not like them there. Sand will grind them away faster than rubber and I want them softer for off road not firm for handling.
But now for the Jimny there's different shore firmness and different quality of course, and way easier to change as you say.
Still I chose rubber.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2020 14:44 #217804 by Jim Jim
Hi Dave, that's exactly what I was going to do, installing the castor correction bushes in that orientation.

I could probably use 1.5" spacers instead of 2" which will give me the clearance for sure along with the castor correction bushes. I have seen those bushes online, I will order them.

yes I remembered seeing your company mentioned many, many times, I was disappointed to see your business closed.

Thanks for your reply and have a great evening.

Cheers.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2020 14:45 #217805 by Jim Jim
Thanks Kirky,

Thanks for the advice and info, I will order the Super pro brand bushes.

Cheers Mate.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2020 14:47 #217806 by Jim Jim
Will try the bushes and maybe narrower spacers first, then trim fender flare and bumper if I have to.

Thanks for the replies Mate.

Cheers.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2020 19:47 #217822 by Jim Jim
Would you guys believe this reply is from an Ebay vendor whom I was trying to get the rear castor bushes from?

ME:
Thanks for your reply. Please note that the photo in the listing reflects the wrong types of bushes per arm, its supposed be 4 of the flexible ones (axle side) and 2 of the solid ones (chassis side), I attached a pic for you to see.
Upon your reply, I will order 2 sets.
Thanks so much.

EBAY Vendor:
Company sell in that way only. I can make set for you but our set will get wasted. If you pay extra then I will give you according to your requirement.
Have to pay US 15.00 for 4 day shipping.

So in other words, I have to pay him to make his suppliers mistake right... WOW

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2020 05:08 #217829 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Castor Correction Bushings
Erm. I'd be looking for another alternative supplier especially if the postage is 15 bucks already.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds