BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny won't start, suspect electrical issue to/from ECM, help! D:

• Mouzey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2020 23:35 - 26 Jan 2020 23:37 #217722 by Mouzey
Hi all!

First off, I appreciate any time or help anyone is able to give :)

So, some backstory: my sister's 2003 M13(a?) Jimmy has had issues since purchase, generally resulting in overheating (clogged/damaged rad, replaced, thermostat, replaced).

The latest job done was replacement thermostat, which was about a thousand times more difficult than I'd have expected. This entailed disconnecting the battery and a number of sensors, removing the throttle body and intake manifold as one unit, and finally replacing the thermostat and refitting everything.

After this, the car would not start - so I did the obvious checks (crankshaft sensor, HT leads and coil packs, fuses, all connections, etc.), During which it was spotted that the crank sensor was royally knackered. I don't believe it was the cause of the issue, as it seemed only the casing around the 3 electric contacts was damaged, and the contacts themselves, while bent, weren't shorting and we're making good contact where they should. Regardless, this got replaced for obvious reasons.

Everything was put back together, then attempt 2 - no luck, still no spark, no ignition. The engine cranks fine but will not fire for the life of it.

There's no "check engine" light on the dash, and bridging the monitor connector pins near the ECU will not result in the engine light flashing codes as it should (I believe).

When cranking, sometimes the Speedo freaks out and will swing all the way to max and back to 0mph or anywhere in between, seemingly in time with the rotation of the engine.

Eventually, I found that the camshaft sensor is not getting 12V where it should, nor is it getting 5V on the Vout pin (as per manual). The 5v supply I believe comes from the ECU directly, pin E19-11. I checked the voltage at the ECU, and there's 0v there also, so my current thinking due to: no engine light, freaking out Speedo and 0v at the camshaft sensor pin, is that there's an issue either with the ECU or power to it, perhaps immobilizer (though there's no immo light illuminating so I'm not even sure if there's one fitted)?

Apologies for the wall of text, I just wanted to give as much info as possible - am I missing something obvious, does my conclusion seem to make sense or have I completely lost it?!

Any and all help appreciated :)

Thanks all!
Last edit: 26 Jan 2020 23:37 by Mouzey. Reason: Correction to background info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2020 00:46 #217723 by yakuza
I had issues with my car, ecu playing up, loosing immo programming for the keys, and lacking lights on the dash cluster, and brake warning light constant on.
Also the engine couldn't run for long without the diagnostic attached.
Replacing the dash cluster was my solution.
There is no immobiliser outside the ecu btw, only the antenna with amplifier at the ignition lock.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds