BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Different tires front and back, am I risking anything?

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2020 15:04 #217649 by Radupuh
Hello,

I'm the happy owner of a 2000 Cabrio Jimny for about a week and I've started working on getting it into top shape. Apart from the various small repairs/maintenance works on my to do list, there's something that slightly worries me: the car has different tires (front and back). According to the previous owner, he had a nasty tire puncture that 'killed' one of his rear tires, so he bought 2 new ones, and turned the remaining rear tire into a spare (he had none before).

This left him (and me) with 2 Bridgestone Dueler tires on the front, and 2 Michelin Latitude on the rear. They're both the same size, just different brand and dot.

Now I definitely plan to get a new set of tires, but a bit down the road (a few months).l, hence my question: am I risking anything if I'm using the car like this for now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jan 2020 16:16 #217653 by Lambert
Not at all. I have previously had infinity on the back axle and Bridgestone on the front and it was fine. What you don't want is vastly different tyre patterns on the same axle. The main advantage is that the Jimny is normally rwd not permanent 4x4 so different tyres are not a problem at either end.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Jan 2020 18:35 - 24 Jan 2020 18:37 #217658 by Max Headroom
Yep dont mix tyres on the same axle. Also...

Always put the best tyres (least worn) on the back whether its front wheel drive four wheel drive or rear wheel drive.
Some old school tyre fitters are saying the best tyres go on the driving wheels, but this is not so.

Explanation here

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 18:37 by Max Headroom.

More
25 Jan 2020 06:29 #217665 by kirkynut
As said above it's fine.

The Jimny is rear wheel drive unless you engage 4wd. Then you should be on a low grip surface anyway, so any difference between the front and rear tyre diameter should allow any wind up to spin out through the tyres not gripping.

The Jimny has no centre diff to allow the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds you see, so it must only be put in 4wd on low grip surfaces.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2020 14:48 #217680 by Radupuh
That s good to hear, thanks everyone for the answers.

More
25 Jan 2020 21:10 #217690 by gv42
can you have the front are 195-80-15 and rear are 205-70-15,??

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jan 2020 07:15 #217693 by Lambert
Over a short distance yes but if you have abs it won't like the different rotation speeds when braking. I might venture down to the tyre fitters but I wouldn't set off on a road trip to Cornwall.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds