BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny was broken into - need advice

More
16 Jan 2020 21:58 - 16 Jan 2020 22:09 #217318 by happybaisakhi
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions:

1 - My understanding is that the Jimny doesn't come with an alarm fitted as standard? I've read a few posts on here regarding this, but I'd appreciate some further advice. Can you point me in the direction of an easy to fit alarm that will sound if the car is opened without the keys?

2 - Jimny has an immobiliser right? How does this work in relation to starting the car without the key, for example if it is hot wired?

3 - Whoever tried to steal the Jimny had prised the boot handle / latch off, and accessed the car via the boot, I assume by manually unlocking the boot by pulling the lock mechanism by hand.

4 - What other security measures have you all taken to deter / prevent theft?

Thanks.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2020 22:09 by happybaisakhi. Reason: Forgot a question
The topic has been locked.
More
16 Jan 2020 22:50 #217320 by yakuza
Theft is a social problem and in the EU it is still on decline. Here in Norway mostly car part theft probably to order, mostly new cars. Like BMW steering wheels and Air bags.
So it is best to make it less appealing for the thief.
Alarm of course or make your car less attractive. I seldom lock my car so if some psych patient should try to get in, he wouldn't need to destroy anything on the car. Most stuff inside is less valuable than the door or window anyway.. I got a cheap car with cheap stereo and keep it messy and dirty inside the car. No sane thief would bother.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: happybaisakhi
More
16 Jan 2020 22:57 #217321 by yakuza
Imobilizer yes. Chip inside the key that must be read into the ecu so no hot wiring is possible as far as I know.
No standard alarm. To prevent damage it should be visible. I got an alarm on my other car, I would prefer it was silent cause it is mostly annoying.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jan 2020 05:14 #217323 by Lambert
Security has to be a layered approach so keeping it behind a locked gate, behind a silent entry alarm, then a visual deterrent like a steering wheel lock, then an alarm, then an immobiliser, then a tracking device. It's also a good idea to make it looks unique as it's easier to describe and less appealing to steal.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2020 08:12 #217326 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny was broken into - need advice
Lots of easy fit alarms on the Internet, I suppose you just need one that goes off when the door is opened and triggered by the interior light turning on, although I can't remember if the light comes on when you open the rear door.
More
17 Jan 2020 08:39 - 17 Jan 2020 09:32 #217327 by Max Headroom
I'm sorry to hear of this Happybaisakhi. One can only hope the scum that do this sort of thing end up living very long and unhappy lives.

All I can add to everyone elses comments are not to leave anything that looks valuable ore interesting in the vehicle.
I've heard it said that theives have got clever and can now counter modern technnology but that they have forgotten about and are now thwarted by some of the old-fashioned security methods such as crook-locks.
I've got a couple of open-topped classic cars and it is a worry. I use an expensive version of a Stoplock, and a battery isolation switch and depending on the situation, take the rotor arm out and put it in my pocket when I walk away. If they really want the car they can take it and you will only slow them down.

Up the road from me there is a Jimny I always see parked up with a Disklok - these prevent anyone sawing through the steering wheel but they are big and heavy - no good for my little sportscar

When out and about in the Jimny (a convertible and easy to get into) I'm always choosy about where I park - I never park near an alleyway where kids hang out, prefering to park where there are plenty of people passing by that could witness something - or at night where it's well lit.
At home, you could put up cameras pointing at the vehicle - some dummy cameras are very convincing, this might deter someone that checks the areea first but wouldn't probably be even noticed by a momentary opportunist.
And in the same way some PIR lighting covering the car when it's parked up at night - these are extremely cheap nowadays from big DIY stores.

At the rear of my property we have had scum climb over the wall from the fields at the back but this is now booby-trapped with a couple of rambling roses that have vicious thorns (I hate pruning them). I also have a trip-wire connected to a firing device for a shot-gun cartridge (a blank cartridge, I hasten to add!).
After a break-in down the road the police did their routine rounds asking what security we had and were very impressed by the low-tech tripwire and cartridge. The only thing is , sometimes I've forgotton about it and set it off myself :ohmy: which always requires a change of underwear. :laugh:

Perimeter alarm-mine link

EDIT:

Another thought - if the rear door was defeated they may have been hoping the damage/break in would go unnoticed for a short while.
A simple door-alarm can be made from a personal attack alarm fixed to the door. The pin (which is pulled out to activate the alarm) attatched by way of a short cord to a hook on the floor or anywhere convenient. The cord needs to be long enough that you can just open the door to get to it and unhook it when you need to access the vehicle, but for anyone not realising it is there, they will set it off.
I have similar devices set up on outhouse doors.

Also a simple blinking led on the dash might deter someone even if there is no alarm. Like THIS one

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 09:32 by Max Headroom.
More
17 Jan 2020 10:36 #217330 by Keithy
By the reports of Jimnys being taken without the keys I've assumed that they can be taken via the OBD method.

I have an alternate immobiliser and an alarm which is also the remote central locking on my 2001 and when at home it is watched by CCTV

I made everything on my Jimny so it's fairly individual.

What was in your car that they wanted?
More
17 Jan 2020 11:05 #217332 by happybaisakhi

Max Headroom wrote: I'm sorry to hear of this Happybaisakhi. One can only hope the scum that do this sort of thing end up living very long and unhappy lives.

All I can add to everyone elses comments are not to leave anything that looks valuable ore interesting in the vehicle.
I've heard it said that theives have got clever and can now counter modern technnology but that they have forgotten about and are now thwarted by some of the old-fashioned security methods such as crook-locks.
I've got a couple of open-topped classic cars and it is a worry. I use an expensive version of a Stoplock, and a battery isolation switch and depending on the situation, take the rotor arm out and put it in my pocket when I walk away. If they really want the car they can take it and you will only slow them down.

Up the road from me there is a Jimny I always see parked up with a Disklok - these prevent anyone sawing through the steering wheel but they are big and heavy - no good for my little sportscar

When out and about in the Jimny (a convertible and easy to get into) I'm always choosy about where I park - I never park near an alleyway where kids hang out, prefering to park where there are plenty of people passing by that could witness something - or at night where it's well lit.
At home, you could put up cameras pointing at the vehicle - some dummy cameras are very convincing, this might deter someone that checks the areea first but wouldn't probably be even noticed by a momentary opportunist.
And in the same way some PIR lighting covering the car when it's parked up at night - these are extremely cheap nowadays from big DIY stores.

At the rear of my property we have had scum climb over the wall from the fields at the back but this is now booby-trapped with a couple of rambling roses that have vicious thorns (I hate pruning them). I also have a trip-wire connected to a firing device for a shot-gun cartridge (a blank cartridge, I hasten to add!).
After a break-in down the road the police did their routine rounds asking what security we had and were very impressed by the low-tech tripwire and cartridge. The only thing is , sometimes I've forgotton about it and set it off myself :ohmy: which always requires a change of underwear. :laugh:

Perimeter alarm-mine link

EDIT:

Another thought - if the rear door was defeated they may have been hoping the damage/break in would go unnoticed for a short while.
A simple door-alarm can be made from a personal attack alarm fixed to the door. The pin (which is pulled out to activate the alarm) attatched by way of a short cord to a hook on the floor or anywhere convenient. The cord needs to be long enough that you can just open the door to get to it and unhook it when you need to access the vehicle, but for anyone not realising it is there, they will set it off.
I have similar devices set up on outhouse doors.

Also a simple blinking led on the dash might deter someone even if there is no alarm. Like THIS one

Thanks Max Headroom, very thorough, I'll be looking into what you suggested further.

Regarding the rotor arm - where is this located on the Jimny?

Thanks.
More
17 Jan 2020 11:07 #217333 by happybaisakhi

Keithy wrote: By the reports of Jimnys being taken without the keys I've assumed that they can be taken via the OBD method.

I have an alternate immobiliser and an alarm which is also the remote central locking on my 2001 and when at home it is watched by CCTV

I made everything on my Jimny so it's fairly individual.

What was in your car that they wanted?

Hi Keithy

There was nothing in the car to steal. The screws had been removed from the steering column (found them in the driver's footwell) which might suggest that they are looking to hot wire the car?

What's the OBD method that you mentioned?

Thanks
More
17 Jan 2020 12:27 #217335 by facade
The OBD theft is often used to steal Fords, especially keyless versions of the Fiesta and Focus. The thief stands outside and pops the drivers window - which doesn't set off the alarm, then reaches in and plugs a laptop into the OBD port. They then read the VIN number, and use a hacked database to defeat the security, open the doors and start the engine.

I suppose they could put a Jimny into key learning mode and get it to recognise any key.

The best deterrent is the Disklok mentioned before- but the makers know it, and it is massively overpriced @£120, keep an eye on ECP and you might get one for a bit less with a discount code.

www.eurocarparts.com/p/disklok-steering-...lver-small-549991210

Fit one, keep the inside tidy and it stops opportunists breaking in.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
More
17 Jan 2020 12:51 - 17 Jan 2020 12:52 #217338 by Max Headroom

happybaisakhi wrote:
Regarding the rotor arm - where is this located on the Jimny?

Sorry for any confusion; the rotor arm is on my classic car, its in the distributor.

If the loser had undone some bolts, he obviously came with tools. What stopped him I wonder? Were they disturbed during the attempt?

Perhaps a secretly hidden battery isolation switch? Though these can easily be found - anything to slow them down though. Other simple things would be pulling the HT leads off the plugs - but doing this every night and refitting them every time you want to use the car soon becomes a huge PIA.

I think a (slowly) flashing led coupled with some personal attack alarms on the doors would be a cheap solution in the short term. Choose an attack alarm WITHOUT a flashing light - you dont want the retard to find it too quickly and stop it sounding off.
Its a pity Maplins went under - they had loads of components to build these kind of things.

THIS is the type of alarm I have on my outbuilding doors' I've mounted mine onto an aluminium bracket that I made, angled so that the pin gets a direct straight-line pull (thin para-cord). It's very loud and I've accidentally set it off myself when I've forgotten to unhook the line, and its a pig trying to get the pin back in in a hurry.
The only drawback is that you can almost mute the sound by covering your palm over the device, but they'd have to be able to see it or know it was there in order to do that quickly.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 12:52 by Max Headroom.
More
17 Jan 2020 13:30 #217339 by yakuza

First column is car theft and the second is theft from the car.
Suzukis not so popular with the norwegian thief. And i live way out of where most of these things occur.
Now I am not sure why I even bother to have it insured :)

Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds