BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Any Power steering tweaks / Upgrades?

More
12 Jan 2020 21:07 #217219 by stimpy
Hey up folks,

I run 33" tyres - yes I know - and for the most part the pas does fine. But every now and again it seems to not work as well, and often when properly stuck I could do with a bit more power!.

Just wondering if there are any tweaks available to the original pump? (bigger pulley?) Or other tried and tested paths?. Tbh I suspect mine may benefit from a rebuild perhaps...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Jan 2020 05:01 #217221 by Lambert
Is it a road car or an off road trailer rider? If the latter have you considered a hydraulic steering conversion? Not road legal but way superior for serious off road driving.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Jan 2020 09:37 #217225 by stimpy
I drive to locations currently so must be legal. Just wondered if I could get more out of my current pump to be honest, or if there were any better reasonably economic other options.

Thanks

More
13 Jan 2020 10:02 #217226 by jackonlyjack

More
13 Jan 2020 16:19 #217236 by stimpy

jackonlyjack wrote: Have a search round for Toyota box into a jimny

Yes, I have seen some of these done. Thanks.

More
13 Jan 2020 17:54 #217241 by Busta
If you've got a DOHC engine, the crank pulley from a Liana is slightly larger on the power steering part, which will spin the pump faster and may give you more flow (speed) at low engine speeds. There will also be a pressure relief somewhere in the system. If you can find it it may be possible to modify it and get a bit more force at the tyres.

More
13 Jan 2020 23:02 #217245 by stimpy

Busta wrote: If you've got a DOHC engine, the crank pulley from a Liana is slightly larger on the power steering part, which will spin the pump faster and may give you more flow (speed) at low engine speeds. There will also be a pressure relief somewhere in the system. If you can find it it may be possible to modify it and get a bit more force at the tyres.

Sadly I have the base 16v. But interesting to know that Pulleys and pressure reliefs can be tweaked. I guess it's just knowing how far one can go....

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds