BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help!!!! Rear shock top bolt won't move

More
11 Jan 2020 13:33 #217171 by Jimny2003
Hi....Getting stuck with the top bolt removal of the rear shock.....bottom bolt moved after soaking with wd40 with a 17mm socket..sorted....now stumped by rear bolts on both sides.....16mm socket this time, but really tricky to access, rusted head, and really don't want to round the head...more wd40 and taking a break...but how on earth do I get them out? there is hardly any room to access, any ideas welcomed...Thanks in anticipation 2003 JImny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jan 2020 15:44 #217173 by Lambert
Gentle and careful application of heat would probably be the next best thing just don't start a fire.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Jimny2003

More
11 Jan 2020 22:00 #217188 by Velocette
With a small,,1/16" drill,make a hole through the shock top eye,the rubber bush and the inner sleeve and just into the stuck bolt. Spray with Plus Gas all over the area several times over a few days to start penetration. The bolt should come free of the threads but may still be partly stuck inside the bush. If you can move it just a fraction undone with a ring spanner,hold it then whack the bolt head hard and it will eventually start to move within the bush sleeve. Its a slow process but it worked for me,,and no heat /flames etc. Obviously,,new shocks and mounting bolts will be needed,,.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimny2003

More
12 Jan 2020 09:23 #217198 by Jimny2003
Will try to see if a local garage can reach it with an impact gun monday, or else will continue to wd40...Thanks for the advice guys and will let you know how I get on.....new shock bolts, 50mm lift kit, Castor bushes inbound.......so it they have to come out!!!!

More
12 Jan 2020 12:48 #217205 by jackonlyjack
My method for what it's worth
Always drive mine up onto four ramps
lot's of wwd 40 a good strong breaker bar
+ my scaffold tube extension 500mm or 1200mm never failed me yet :evil:

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimny2003

More
13 Jan 2020 13:35 #217233 by Jimny2003
A better morning.....rocked up at a nearby garage, and twenty minutes later, the HERO...had "moved" both bolts!!! (Thats the difference between lying on my back under the Jimny with my elbows jammed in the gravel and a Car lift and trays of garage kit... But he warned me the Bolts were in poor condition.....so now awaiting a 17mm 6 point socket (apparently much better) and some new bolts in the post, before sorting Rear...But not one to wait, have now stripped springs and shocks off the front...so the new Lift kit arrives PM today via DHL...so will start on that next...and move the diff drain/fillers while in the air...then rear shocks and springs....then get the wheels on and get it settled before swapping over the castor bushes one side at a time......Well, thats the plan!!! then another day....Drain and refill axles..and sort the exhaust which always hits a piece of the bodywork when the engine starts!!!

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds