BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Batteries

More
09 Jan 2020 01:07 #217121 by cindymcm
Batteries was created by cindymcm
Hi all,

How long would you expect a battery from 2013 to last? 6 years a good run out of it? My partner reckons its not and should last no longer than that but everything I read online says a battery lifespan is around 4-6 years.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jan 2020 05:12 #217122 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Batteries
If it's a factory fitment battery then 6 or 7 years isn't bad it really depends on what kind of life the car has had. If it's all longer runs and nights in garages that will prolong the life, if it's lots of short runs living outside all year round that will shorten the lifespan. If it's a replacement battery then 4 to 5 years is quite good especially for an off brand one, though proper brands like Bosch or Yuasa tend to last better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jan 2020 11:18 #217125 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Batteries
6 years is good but I have heard of some getting 15 years out of original or high quality batteries. It all depends how many deep cycles, low charging, short trips with short charging, and sub-zero temperature it has been exposed to.
The cheap asian batteries I have been byuing the last years begin to loose their oompf after 1-2 years. Especially when the temperature gets down to around zero. And if the car is parked for a couple of days or cold weather like 10-15 degrees below, I hear that the starter turns with much less ease.
I am changing the Jimny battery for an AGM battery like I have in the wifes VW T5.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
09 Jan 2020 12:56 #217127 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Batteries
I did not yet have any car battery for more than 8 years.

Last autumn I installed a LiFePo4 battery into the Jimny and so far the battery works really fine. However, we did not have temperatures below -5°C and the LiFePo4 would be supposed to decline with lower temperatures. According to the descriptions the LiFePo4 should withstand about 10 times the amount of cycles compared to a lead battery and also no issue with deep cycling so if everything works as hoped, I will inform you in about 79 years.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds