BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front lights

• AusZookie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2020 09:41 #217100 by AusZookie
Front lights was created by AusZookie
Hi folks.

First post. I'm an Aussie moving to the UK.

Looking at getting a smaller 4bie because the price of fuel there has scared the **** out of me and a Jimny would suit me to the ground.

I read that Bullbars are illegal there. You were just getting into them when they were banned.
I understand you don't have roos and emus there.
The thing is.. other than above the screen.. are you able to mount auxiliary lights on the front bar?

I've had Hiluxs, Pajeros and utes, all with bullbars and that's where the lights have gone.

Cheers
Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2020 10:26 #217101 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Front lights
Actually, our rules are very relaxed.

You can have all sorts of lights etc. providing they are wired correctly into the dip beam etc. so they are only on in appropriate situations and they are "balanced" ie. 2 or 4 lights, not 3.

The "bullbars" are a grey area. First of all, any car built pre-2007 is fine, you will see all kinds of fabrication on the fronts of these.

Post 2007 the laws were introduced around not interfering with the manufacturers impact protection etc. This means that the process of a manufacturer getting a bar approved is costly and for a commercial seller to sell something unapproved, where it is for normal road use, is also not allowed. You will see products advertised as "for off-road use only".

However, the wording is much contested. Some people believe that you can still make your own or, as a buyer, you can buy one its just that commercial sellers cannot sell them. Hence you will see people buying them from outside the EU.

I have never heard of anyone being pulled up when the bar is well made. (anything clearly dangerous comes under construction and use regulations anyway). There has been one famous UK case about dangerous modification to a LandRover where a homemade chassis mount failed and the driver killed his own children when it rolled off the road, but this was again under dangerous construction rather than the concept of the modification being queried).

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• AusZookie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2020 10:31 #217102 by AusZookie
Replied by AusZookie on topic Front lights
Oh right. Thanks for that. I have been looking at bullbars in the stores there and they sell them but with the addendum "for off-road use only".
Sweet. Am looking at pre-2007 vehicles anyway.
Good to know

• skinnymik
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2020 15:06 #217104 by skinnymik
Replied by skinnymik on topic Front lights
Martin

Does this rule apply to swapping the front & rear bumpers from manufacturers plastic to say steel Raptors (for example) post 2007?

Mick

More
08 Jan 2020 15:52 #217105 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Front lights
It depends who you talk to and their interpretation. If you google it you will see all sorts of different views.

Certainly the law changed and main vehicle manufacturers dropped products left right and centre.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• skinnymik
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2020 17:10 #217110 by skinnymik
Replied by skinnymik on topic Front lights
What a shame, that might be why I see a lot of pre 2007 'modded' Jimnys. Yet there are all sorts of mods on cars abroad, especially the Far East.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Jan 2020 17:23 #217111 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front lights
The main work round that gets quoted most is that a bull bar is ok if it's a means of mounting an accessory namely a winch as opposed to lightning but if it is just what is called a frontal protection system it has to have been through the full homologation process and be type approved and be "pedestrian friendly" which is difficult and expensive to achieve. In case it isn't obvious from this and what Martin was saying it's a minefield of opinion and interpretation and is best left alone.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds