BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine Whirring noise & knocking?

More
21 Dec 2019 23:41 #216687 by Reason2doubt
Hi all,

On the way home I noticed that my engine started to make what I can only describe as a whirring noise at low rpm (<2000rpm) - never heard it before, normally it sounds more like "chug chug chug chug chug".

Also, I noticed that when I adjust the throttle, at what I would guess is between 1500 and 2000 rpm, I heard a faint knocking noise? Not sure if the two are linked, or if there is even a problem?

Here's a short clip of the engine running and me fiddling with the throttle:

The car is running perfect - I was driving when I heard the slight change in whine coming from the engine - I've been out since and it drives as normal, idle is perfect (around 800-900rpm as usual). As a precaution I topped up the oil as it was slightly below 3/4, probably because I recently did a 350 mile trip back home from Wales it dropped a bit.

So, I guess my main question is...is this something I should be worried about? Does the engine sound 'normal'? Any guidance/help/reassurance much appreciated!

Thanks all in advance -

Stuart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Dec 2019 06:54 #216689 by Lambert
No that is not normal even for a single cam. Check the ancillary belts and pulleys that all are smooth free and that the crank drive is secure and doesn't oscillate. Also check the viscous fan hasn't found something to rub on. These are the cheapest and easiest to look at first. If they are all good it will become more complicated and expensive to resolve but do the easy stuff first.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Dec 2019 14:27 #216701 by Reason2doubt
Thanks Lambert.

Checked over all the belts, turns out it was a dry bearing on one of the pulleys. It's gone away now with a little directional squirt of WD40.

I think the knocking noise was me just being hyper-sensitive to any noises I could hear at that time; that was just the tappets in the rocker cover!

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds