BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Broke my diff.

More
26 Nov 2019 19:11 - 26 Nov 2019 19:25 #215988 by yakuza
Broke my diff. was created by yakuza
Knocking noise from the rear occurred so went home and took the diff out. Pinion had lost three theeth. Broke them clean off. Mine is a 05 so I will need a new 4.3 diff. Got 235's so I need the reduction. I have many samurai diffs but they are 3.9 and even though I have 17% reduction in the transfer case it wouldn't be a good option..

Is this common?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Nov 2019 19:25 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Nov 2019 20:16 #215989 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Broke my diff.
That's impressive. Diffs are usually quite reliable even with quite big tyres. Was there any evidence of prior wear in the pinion bearings or were you working it quite hard when it failed?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Nov 2019 20:25 #215990 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Broke my diff.
I've a pair of vvt diffs

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
26 Nov 2019 21:00 #215994 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Broke my diff.

Lambert wrote: That's impressive. Diffs are usually quite reliable even with quite big tyres. Was there any evidence of prior wear in the pinion bearings or were you working it quite hard when it failed?

Both gear backlash and bearing clearances seem just fine from what I can see and feel. Way better than most Samurai or SJ diffs i have set up by just throwing them together more or less. and i had lockers and 31" inch tires in those, and they are just the same except for the ratio. Those were old ones from 1985 to 1988 though. nothing is like it used to be when it comes to cost and quality.

If I had a gear wheel breaking like this at work I would say there could have been something wrong with the material..

At the time I had my Suzuki trailer with approx 3-400kg total weight and took off from home in first gear.. Wet partly icy paved road.
I am very pleased with the power in it now and I must say I do like to floor it as well.. So it has probably been strained a bit.
And I did break my gearbox too last year. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
26 Nov 2019 21:03 #215995 by yakuza

j999pre wrote: I've a pair of vvt diffs

I am trying to source it in Norway first, but might just send you a PM if I can't find any..
No luck yet on the interwebs tonight.

More
27 Nov 2019 01:52 #216002 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Broke my diff.
Dang! You ice kings are mean.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Nov 2019 05:30 #216005 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Broke my diff.

yakuza wrote:

Lambert wrote: That's impressive. Diffs are usually quite reliable even with quite big tyres. Was there any evidence of prior wear in the pinion bearings or were you working it quite hard when it failed?

At the time I had my Suzuki trailer with approx 3-400kg total weight and took off from home in first gear.. Wet partly icy paved road.
I am very pleased with the power in it now and I must say I do like to floor it as well.. So it has probably been strained a bit.
And I did break my gearbox too last year. :)

So you were being a heavy footed vandal then? :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Nov 2019 06:26 #216031 by yakuza
Guilty to most of the above..
Still I do not see why the diff broke now. There was no sound in it, there was very little debris in the oil except for the obvious three large teeth. The oil was not particularly sparkly and shiny from metal particles with only very small traces of shavings.
No obvious reason as to why it broke.
I haven't been smoking the tires either, if I thought it was possible i might done it though.

Anyways I got an axle from a 2012 car on the way. the complete axle will cost me approx 500£ freight and all. (this is Norway)
On the up side I will put an ARB in there now and get an extra pair of half shafts. :)

More
28 Nov 2019 07:53 #216038 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Broke my diff.
My 2000 rear diff did the same with the pinion gear but not the whole tooth, so it drove ok still, just with noises every now and then.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
09 Dec 2019 22:30 #216338 by yakuza
Got the new diff on the car now with the ARB too, took longer than I thought it would..

Now I can hear what a properly set up diff should sound like, and comparing the new one with the old, it seems the old one made a noise on take off, and had less bearing pteload, and too much backlash.. The noise I thought was the transfer case gearing as that was when I first noticed it, but now it is gone. :)

More
09 Dec 2019 22:34 #216339 by yakuza

kirkynut wrote: My 2000 rear diff did the same with the pinion gear but not the whole tooth, so it drove ok still, just with noises every now and then.

Kirkynut

My noise was hard to describe, mostly first gear take off, more if going up hill or pulling the trailer.
Clearly at peak torque.

More
09 Dec 2019 22:46 #216340 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Broke my diff.
Maybe its just the way the light is hitting the teeth but the tooth on the far right looks like the material has pitting around the edge of the fracture.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds