BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt Crank pulley problems

More
07 Nov 2019 17:46 - 07 Nov 2019 17:47 #215449 by bryn
The saga continues.
I changed both fan belts as one of them was squealing and now it appears I have a problem with the crank pulley. It seems to have a wobble and when I let the engine warm up and rev it I get a rattle which seems to be coming from the pulley area. The tensioner seems fine and running true.
I was wondering if I over mentioned the belts and that would have an effect

As always advice much appreciated

bryn
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 17:47 by bryn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Nov 2019 17:59 #215451 by Riccy
The pulley failing is usually what causes people to start changing belts in the first place.

They have a rubber compound as part of their construction which wears out and you get the problem you have found. Possibly tightening the belts properly has brought it on sooner, but its an inevitable thing on a Jimny im afraid.

Martin sells them in the bigjimny shop ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
07 Nov 2019 20:38 #215459 by Foxtrot
I remember one of my Jimnys got recalled for a faulty defect on one of the pulleys, I think they changed it out for a stronger version as the previous one was prone to failure.

www.check-vehicle-recalls.service.gov.uk...NY/year/2010/recalls

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds