BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny G13BB engine water temp

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2019 23:22 - 06 Nov 2019 23:28 #215439 by Owl
Jimny G13BB engine water temp was created by Owl
hi All, Just wondering what the normal temp gauge needle should read. Mine sits just above half way on the temp gauge on the highway, is that the norm?

Anyone know the what the normal operating temp should be. is there a spec for this?

I have a 82 degree thermostat fitted.

On the subject, anyone fitted a temp gauge in addition to the needle gauge and any suggestions on whats a good one to get? Thanks Owl
Last edit: 06 Nov 2019 23:28 by Owl. Reason: more juicy bits and questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Nov 2019 05:28 #215441 by Lambert
On my significantly different and newer 2011 the temperature via an ecu plugin gauge was operating between about 86 and 96 Celsius occasionally going up over the 100 if sat in traffic after a hard run like up the motorway and then going directly into a town centre traffic jam. Then it would settle down around 97 to 99 once moving again. All the time the dash gauge was stable just under the halfway.

Eventually I started to make myself paranoid about engine temps so I deleted the ecu guage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2019 06:02 #215443 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Jimny G13BB engine water temp
Thanks Lambert, I think you picked up on my water temp paranoia. Had a hose pop on me not long ago. Got a pinhole right at the clamping area top hose. ive replaced all cooling sys hoses, some clamps and put a new KoyoRad radiator in. I moved the aircond radiator thing (theres a name for it I forgot ), about 5 to 7mm toward front to create a bit more air space, It was nearly butted up to each other. Fan Clutch good.

i dont know, they run too hot , seems to worry me but i need to get over it. You say 100 ,, is boiling point isnt it?

More
07 Nov 2019 06:17 #215444 by Max Headroom
My neighbour's Jimny runs exactly like Lambert's does, reading just under the halfway mark

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Nov 2019 06:58 #215445 by Lambert
Water boils at 100 degrees at sea level in an open container. Coolant has a higher boiling point than just water and a liquid in a sealed container under pressure has an even higher boiling point. The service manual for the m13a states normal operating temperature is between about 85 and 110 Celsius and then that is only the beginning of an overheat not necessarily the point of critical failure.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Owl

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2019 07:29 #215446 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Jimny G13BB engine water temp
Great info Lambert thanks. All seems normal for the cooling sys.

More
09 Nov 2019 12:08 #215507 by jimkyx

Max Headroom wrote: My neighbour's Jimny runs exactly like Lambert's does, reading just under the halfway mark

2012 Auto just under half way

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds