BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox kaput on 20 year old Jimny

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2019 10:34 #215265 by petejones69
Gearbox kaput on 20 year old Jimny was created by petejones69
It sounds like my gearbox is kaput - lots of rattling and various other noises as I get to 4th gear. The Jimny is 20 years old now and has covered around 65k miles, so not too bad. I've only owned the vehicle for a couple of years. Now I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the gearbox fixed or letting the Jimny go for spare parts. Not being particularly mechanical, I have no real idea of the state of the rest of the engine/transmission, etc, except that it drives OK. The only other "issue" is a large hole in the driver's side chassis, but it's not an MOT fail.

Any suggestions? I've read on this site that a gearbox can cost over £600 to fix.

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2019 10:46 #215266 by Max Headroom
Hello Peter - I see you're in fabulous Pembrokeshire - I spent many happy years there and still return (RAF Brawdy)

Sorry to hear of your g'box woes. Everyone here will have their own opinions, but I always think that the cheapest car is the one you already own.
If you buy another - you could well be buying someone else's problems and be in the same situation or worse.
If the rest of the car is sound and it's only the g'box, and you like the car - why not get it replaced.
I have the rather suspect R72 g'box in mine and Mr Clutch quoted me roughly £1k to replace it - I just wanted to get a ball=park figure on what to expect.
your nearest Mr Clutch is
144-146 Rear of City Road
South Glamorgan :(
Cardiff

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: petejones69

More
01 Nov 2019 16:14 #215268 by kirkynut
You have the earlier gearbox to the ones that usually give trouble and as such you'll have less trouble finding a gearbox and you can buy a whole rusty old Jimny for £300 with a good gearbox to steal from it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2019 22:00 #215286 by petejones69
Replied by petejones69 on topic Gearbox kaput on 20 year old Jimny
Asked at the local garage and they can't book it in for 5-6 weeks they are so busy! Anyway, they kindly gave me the number of another local garage that can take a look. Just hope it's not more than fifty quid :-)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Nov 2019 06:58 #215294 by Lambert
I think it probably will be a bit more than 50 quid! A rebuild of your existing box is probably going to be in the 500 to 900 quid bracket depending on your location that is also likely to have a labour charge for removing and refitting the box. There's also going to be an additional hundred ish quid for a new clutch at the same time as its sensible to do it all together. Alternatively as suggested by Kirkynut a good replacement box could be found for a fraction of the cost of a rebuild but it will still have labour and a clutch.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Nov 2019 09:23 #215298 by HUN
Buying a donor for £300-400 would only make sense if you could collect it, swap gearboxes and get rid of the rest of donor car by youself. I suspect a donor one will not be safe to drive and wont't have MOT, so unless you can get these sorted for cheap it will cost nearly like have it repaired. Also consider that a used one may will last another 20K miles only as you don't know it's condition. If I were you I 'd get it replaced by a reputable garage. Being refurbished it will serve many-many years with no problem. Also get the hole patched and you'll be sorted. Perhaps all depend on condition of your car. ;)

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• Owl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2019 21:19 #215312 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Gearbox kaput on 20 year old Jimny
had my 1999 Gearbox reconditioned cost $1900AUD.

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2019 10:52 #215383 by petejones69
It's with a mechanic at the moment and it looks like it could be the prop shaft. Fingers crossed it's not the gearbox.

More
06 Nov 2019 08:01 #215405 by j999pre
I have 2 gearboxes for this year of Jimny on the shelf. £75 each. I can post of needed.

Cheers

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Nov 2019 16:16 #215471 by petejones69
Heard back from the garage today - driver's side front wheel bearing seems to be causing the racket.

More
10 Nov 2019 21:49 #215551 by kirkynut
That's good news! An easy fix!

See the Big Jimny Store for the keenest price on the bearing.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• petejones69
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2019 21:45 #215726 by petejones69
It came down to the brushes (?) on the axles being dry, so an oiling and all seems OK now. Cost me just £80 instead of the monstrous sum I thought it would B)

The mechanic said he would do the welding for fifty quid, so I will book that in soon.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds